Rotten Apple iMacs spoil Christmas

Zoom in on this story. Explore all there is to know.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

iMac screens flicker on YouTube

Videos posted on YouTube show graphics glitches on the screens of iMac computers. NO SOUND.

PT0M0S 620 349

If you were hoping to get your hands on a new 27-inch Apple iMac in time for Christmas, think again.

Serious shipping delays have frustrated Apple customers around the world and a minimum two-week wait now applies to all new purchases of the super-size all-in-one iMac on Apple's website.

The company's problems are not limited to availability of the 27-inch screen. A flurry of complaints about blackouts and flickering screens have compounded the negative coverage surrounding the new iMac, leading to speculation that the delays are related to the hardware faults, as Apple seeks to find a solution.

The new iMacs

The new iMacs

Although local Apple representatives did not respond to our inquiries, a company spokesman told technology website CNET that the new iMac had been a huge hit and said it was “working hard to fulfil orders as quickly as possible".

“We apologise for any inconvenience or delay this may cause our customers,” it said.

With no satisfactory explanation for the delays from Apple, Mac enthusiasts have turned to forums to pour out their frustration as they wait for their new iMacs to arrive.

“I ordered my iMac 27" i7 with upgraded ram and hardrive from myer on 24th of OCTOBER. I have now been waiting 47 days!!!!” said a member of the Australian Mactalk forum.

“I know what you're going through. I originally purchased through a reseller on the 2nd Nov, but when I heard that they weren't receiving stock until mid/late January, I canceled [sic] and got a refund,” said another.

Although some users on the forum were told by Apple their shipments had been delayed by red tape while in transit, one person was told that the manufacturer in China was waiting for parts, while another said their insurance company informed them that “cracked screens” were behind a huge backlog of orders.

A new website has been established to chronicle hardware problems and delays associated with the iMac.

The site, which links to hundreds of forum posts devoted to problems with the 27-inch machine, said that it had received “several reports from Apple resellers that all shipments of 27-inch iMacs have been delayed by 2 weeks as Apple is in the process of replacing the graphics card”.

It adds that some people are reporting that their projected ship dates have also been pushed back.

Faults reported on forums range from cracked glass, screen flickering, yellow tinged or noisy screens and have been experienced by users around the world as far afield as North America, Europe and Australia.

A number of YouTube videos have also been created by users wanting to demonstrate their hardware issues, while some prospective customers have opted to postpone their purchases until reported hardware problems are fixed.

• Apple have lost it.

I've got a Penryn MacBook Pro which has the faulty Nvidia chipset, I've got a 1st edition MacBook which has never worked properly and Apple were never able to fix (it's out of warranty). My iPhone is about as useful as the Pope's proverbials, and my Airport Extreme router is complete dog.

I'll probably never buy an Apple again. Which is a pity, because the OS is nice. But not nice enough to warrant using cheap, poorly built hardware.

Mark
    December 15, 2009, 2:17PM
    • Wow, surprised by the lack of comments on this one. It is a shame these issues occurred as the 27" screen was a really attractive selling point

moggyx
      December 15, 2009, 2:35PM
      • Have had my iMac for 3 weeks now, it is an absolute joy to use! Super fast and the only drawback, they should rename it from iMac to iMax 'cos that screen is MASSIVE! So far, absolutely no problems with it whatsoever!

Hellblazer
        December 15, 2009, 2:55PM
        • Shame this has happened. I have been so happy with all my apple stuff ( I have a lot) I also tell others to buy apple. Time to invest more in R&D apple I think on the hardware

Ph0en!x
          December 15, 2009, 3:01PM
          • I've been wanting to get into the Mac game for a while; the OS is nice. I dual boot OSX on my Sony VAIO and that's great but my iPhone is a horribly shoddy piece of hardware; can't get reception in the city walking through the streets.

:/ I've tried very hard to get it replaced only to be met by deaf ears... not impressed with their hardware and support at all thus far.

Jimmie
            December 15, 2009, 3:09PM
            • My wife ordered a set of Apple Christmas cards, which were supposed to arrive in 10-14 business days. They still haven't arrived. She emailed Apple, who replied that the delay was due to "wildfires in your region recently". They said they would be happy to despatch another set. Which may or may not arrive in time for next Christmas, presumably.

Tezza
              December 15, 2009, 3:16PM
              • Just before all the Apple-haters chime in, I ordered my 27 inch iMac on the 3rd December, direct from Apple. It was build to order, with additional ram, and it arrived on the 10th. 1 week. It is in perfect condition, without any of the flaws mentioned.

That is not to say there aren't faulty units, just that they aren't all faulty. And Myer is notorious for being slow to deliver on their Apple computers - I'm not sure why Myer seem to have so many issues.

Curmi
                December 15, 2009, 3:26PM
                • I would also like to get in before all the Apple-haters and say that Apple, like any other company, gives stock priority to its own stores over resellers. So it is hardly surprising that around xmas time, with a newly released product, that they may have trouble getting stock in at somewhere like Myer. If people have a problem with that, then why don't they just go direct to Apple and save the hassle?

The problems with the display are probably not helping matters, but this does not mean Apple has 'lost it'. Also keep in mind that the parts that are failing aren't actually made by Apple. They have obviously put their trust in ATI to deliver a quality product and they have failed them. I would think that ATI would be paying some serious compensation to Apple for this stuff up.

Jesse
                  December 15, 2009, 3:43PM
                  • Just on GonePhishing's comments - I own a previous version iMac 24 inch. It is sitting side by side with the new 27 inch. And I can tell you, the old one is warmer than the new one - and neither are blazing hot, particularly when just sitting there. Your comments sound like someone who is completely out of touch with reality.

Curmi
                    December 15, 2009, 3:45PM
                    • I have had to replace a mountain of electrical equipment in my house due to lighting - of course this happened just before Xmas. I had a 27 Imac in my hand in Ca. last week but decided to get one from Aus instead. But therefore I knew they were physically available (at least in the US). I ordered it on 7th Dec at about 8pm AEST and today (15th) it has arrived in Sydney. As I have had to deal with a lot of manufacturers right now I feel I am in a unique position to comment. Nothing else I need is available before Christmas. Including stereo's, TV's etc. As an aside I use both PC's and MAC but do prefer Mac. I think this article is being very critical of a problem I have not seen from Apple. Sony, Toshiba, Nintendo (among others) would not deliver any electricals prior to Christmas, yet for me Apple did an upgraded 27" within a week. I have been led to believe the screen issues were 'relatively' rare and in any case solved now, so here's hoping. My experience with Apple this purchase is 5 stars so far....

Jeremy