KITTY FLANAGAN -
1. DOES UTOPIA DO FOR GOVERNMENT ORGANISATIONS WHAT FRONTLINE DID FOR MEDIA ORGANISATIONS?
I think Utopia might be more of a subtle skewering, whereas Frontline went in boots and all.
2. WHO DID YOU USE AS INSPIRATION FOR YOUR CHARACTER RHONDA THE PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER?
I based her on a hummingbird. A lot of arm flapping but very little forward movement. I found it really enjoyable and very funny that everyone in the office wanted to avoid Rhonda at all costs and she was oblivious. That's the superpower of the PR person: obliviousness.
3. WHAT DOES UTOPIA SAY ABOUT AUSTRALIA'S GOVERNMENTAL SYSTEM?
It really highlights the fact that no one cares about the big picture; all anyone cares about is their own job and covering their own arse.
4. WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE ROB SITCH CHARACTER FROM OVER THE YEARS?
I don't know if he was playing a character at the time but I'm pretty sure Rob Sitch coined the phrase "champagne comedy" and I'll always want to high five him in my mind for that.
5. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TEMPTED TO JUMP INTO THE WORLD OF POLITICS?
Only when I see footage from question time. The so-called "heckling", it's some of the lamest work I've ever heard. Give me five minutes in there, I'll show them how it's done in the comedy clubs and take them all down. Amateurs, the lot of them.
6. WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING IF YOU WEREN'T A COMEDIAN?
If I had my time over again, I'd like to be a cabinet maker. Or a dog trainer. Or maybe a pianist. However, I possess none of the required skills for any of those jobs, ergo, I am a comedian.
Utopia, ABC TV, Wednesdays 8.30pm, abc.net.au