Most voted ... Gene Simmons of KISS performing with Motley Crue in Perth this year. Photo: Getty Images
Kiss have beaten Nirvana, Deep Purple and more in a public poll for induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2014.
More than 1.39 million people voted for more than 16 nominees of which 17.22 per cent, or 239,417 votes went to Kiss. Nirvana came second with 15.69 per cent or 218,155 votes. Other nominees included Deep Purple, Yes, Hall And Oates and Peter Gabriel.
Close second ... Nirvana doesn't get the most votes by the public for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014. Photo: Supplied
While Kiss have won the public vote, this only amounts to a single vote out of approximately 600 others, which will be submitted by musicians, businessmen and commentators.
Even if they were inducted, bassist Gene Simmons recently said that founding members Ace Frehley and Peter Criss would not be invited to the April ceremony in New York.
“How many chances in life to do you get?" he said. "Those guys had three chances to be in the band. Three times they f---ed it up. When you have a cancer in your system, it's best to cut it out as fast as you can.”
Criss and Frehley first left the band in the early 1980s, and briefly rejoined in the late 1990s.
But guitarist Frehley has made it clear that he will be attending anyway, regardless of what his former bandmate says.
“I'm happy that I'm gonna be inducted, most likely next year, in April, in New York City,” he said. “It should be a great event. There's no way Gene can put a lid on it. I mean, what's he gonna do?”
Kiss toured Australia in March* this year alongside Motley Crue. Playing with Simmons and Paul Stanley were drummer Eric Singer and guitarist Tommy Thayer.
How the public voted:
1. Kiss: 17.22 per cent / 239,417
2. Nirvana: 15.69 per cent / 218,155
3. Deep Purple: 11.93 per cent / 165,828
4. Yes: 10.88 per cent / 151,238
5. Hall and Oates: 8.1 per cent / 112,673
6. Peter Gabriel: 7.97 per cent / 110,839
7. Linda Ronstadt: 6.13 per cent / 85,252
8. Cat Stevens: 5.37 per cent / 74,638
9. The Zombies: 3.94 per cent / 54,764
10. NWA: 2.95 per cent / 40,985
11. The Replacements: 2.26 per cent / 31,490
12. LL Cool J: 1.92 per cent / 26,740
13. Paul Butterfield Blues Band: 1.76 per cent / 24,481
14. Chic: 1.32 per cent / 18,395
15. Link Wray: 1.32 per cent / 18,337
16. The Meters: 1.24 per cent / 17,272