Entertainment

EXCLUSIVE
Save
Print
License article

Sticky Fingers frontman apologises, defends on-air comments

Sticky Fingers' troubled frontman, Dylan Frost, has taken to the band's Facebook page to address the allegations made against him and the band that they were unapologetic for past violent behaviour during an interview on Triple J's news and current affairs program Hack last Thursday.

Frost was accused of two separate incidents in 2016, which included allegedly shouting racist remarks at a gig headlined by Indigenous Sydney punk band Dispossessed, and violently threatening two members of the Australian music community outside the Lady Hampshire pub in Sydney's Camperdown.

The lengthy post, which outlines Frost's recollections of both incidents, aimed to shed some light on last week's interview, and Frost's subsequent response of "boys will be boys" and "s--t happens, man" when prompted by host Tom Tilley to elaborate on his violent past, sending social media into meltdown and sparking a fierce backlash against the band online.

''On July 28, 2016, I attended a gig by punk band Dispossessed ... I need to make it clear that I did not hurl racial abuse at them," Frost wrote.

"Rumours have been spread around suggesting that I'm racist. That is complete bulls--t."

While Frost claimed that video evidence of the incident is available on the internet and that he was not at fault, he did make the admission that he violently threatened a female and her boyfriend in what Frost describes as a "verbal mouth off" that he reacted angrily to.

Advertisement

''I'm sorry that she felt threatened by my behaviour. That is never OK," Frost wrote.

"I'm ashamed I made a woman feel unsafe around me and I never want to put myself or anyone in the position again.

"Violence against women is never OK and it never will be."

Frost ended the statement with a firm yet optimistic outlook on the future, saying that the band will not be answering any more questions about the incidents in 2016, as well as his comments on-air last week.

Frost's bandmate Daniel "Freddy Crabbs" Neurath echoed Frost's post, speaking exclusively to Fairfax Media on Friday, claiming that some media outlets in particular had been "further perpetuating their angle based on unfounded allegations" and were not taking into account Frost's mental health issues, as well as his recent rehabilitation experience which forced the band into a year-long hiatus during 2017.

"Diz was trying to be accountable for his actions, but should not have been probed the way he was or demanded to answer questions because of his fragile mental health condition," Neurath said.

"Dylan was referencing fights and past experiences with the band, not the allegations made against him."

According to Neurath, Frost and the band have completely reinvented themselves and have spent the past month writing and recording their upcoming album completely sober.

"Eventually we got to the point where drinking was no longer fun for us," Neurath said.

"We felt that was as necessary as the music. We understand now that we came across as more intimidating than we realised, and our actions didn't reflect our beliefs."