- Cringe time: nothing went right for ABC
- ABC defends New Year's Eve coverage
- Julia Zemiro's ABC NYE telecast gaffe
"Pathetic". "Amateurish". "Embarrassing". "Train crash of a broadcast".
ABC's much-maligned New Year's Eve coverage has been slammed by viewers for yet another year, with people begging for Channel Nine to be given back the rights.
The hashtag "abcnye" was hijacked by unhappy viewers on Thursday night who canned the broadcast as a "disaster".
Hosts Eddie Perfect, Justine Clarke and Ella Hooper did their best to fill the four hours of empty air time, but bad camera angles and music drew the ire of audiences at home.
"How is it possible that the #abcnye gets worse every year?" one person wrote.
"The real crime of ABC's #NYE coverage was that it was so bad it made me miss Richard Wilkins," tweeted another.
One man joked he would make it his New Year's resolution to make sure ABC never host the night again, while others begged for it to just "get off".
The barrage is nothing new. The national broadcaster's coverage of Sydney's New Year's Eve fireworks has been mocked as "garbage" ever since it acquired the rights in 2013.
After its first broadcast in 2013, ABC had to defend itself when viewers accused the hosts of being drunk and more than 140 people made formal complaints.
The coverage was slammed as inappropriate after the hosts joked about kissing each other and made offensive comments about Tony Abbott, Richard Wilkins and the Duchess of Cambridge.
ABC TV's director of television Richard Finlayson at the time said the broadcaster was happy with the coverage, describing it as a "huge undertaking".
In 2014, host Julia Zemiro also made headlines after she was heard thanking god when the broadcast finally finished, not realising her microphone was still on.
"Oh, thank God," the RocKwiz host said at the credits rolled.
This year's coverage was without scandal but viewers seemed just as unimpressed as in previous years.
The only praise the night received was Laurence Mooney's Pub Quiz segment, with viewers calling him "the funniest man on TV".
They were also happy with the ABC's decision to stream performances from the Falls Music Festival.
This is only the third year ABC has hosted New Year's Eve after many years on commercial television, most notably on Channel Nine with Richard Wilkins.
The rights were up for tender again in 2015, but the New Year's Eve broadcast remained at the ABC.
The program is a huge ratings winner for the network, with 1.9 million viewers tuning in to see last year's fireworks.
#abcnye the worst coverage ever get off!!— mary (@maryba18) December 31, 2015
Really hope NYE coverage goes back to channel 9. #abcnye coverage leaves much to be desired.— Charmaine Hetem (@charmaine_hetem) December 31, 2015
Absolutely disgraceful coverage. I hate to be negative but that was life threatening. Tax payers fund that disaster #abcnye— Mick Ayris (@MickAyris) December 31, 2015
I've seen more professional public access TV than that train crash of a broadcast. Tony Abbott would see heads roll for that ABC... #abcnye— David Cherrie (@DavidCherrie) December 31, 2015
What's with the weird music? People who like this stuff are NOT the ones at home watching TV!!!! Worst coverage of NYE ever #abcnye— Dr Bek (@DrBekMarketing) December 31, 2015