'Big relief' for Newtons after Bert's op
Patti Newton jokes that her husband "isn't a pretty sight" after his heart operation, and says he will now spend at least three days in intensive care.PT1M14S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-29zuw 620 349 November 24, 2012
Showbiz legend Bert Newton is recovering in intensive care after undergoing quadruple heart bypass surgery in Melbourne.
The 74-year-old's six-hour operation went ''according to plan'', the Epworth Hospital in Richmond has confirmed.
I couldn't say I'm scared ... I'm apprehensive.
‘‘Bert Newton’s heart surgery has been completed. His surgeon said everything proceeded according to plan and he is very happy with how things went,'' the hospital said in a statment.
"Bert is now resting comfortably in intensive care. We are keeping a close eye on him in the ICU as we do all our patients."
The TV and radio star was admitted to hospital after experiencing chest pains earlier in the week.
Outside hospital, Newton's wife Patti said she and daughter Lauren had visited him in intensive care, where he will remain for three days before transferring to a regular ward for about one week. He is expected to wake
"I kissed him on the forehead and will leave him be," Patti Newton said.
"I just went in and saw him for a second and he is not a pretty sight at the moment but hopefully that will get better.
"(He has) tubes everywhere but that is how, I suppose, you get a heart working again.
She said she it would be three months before he was "on top of it".
Lauren said her children had "played" on his hospital bed last night but were now missing their famous grandfather.
"I don't think that is how a lot of people prepare [for major surgery]," she said
Earlier, Patti Newton admitted the TV veteran had been shaken up by his health ordeal.
‘‘He always puts on a brave front but this has ... hit him a bit,’’ she told Channel Nine.
‘‘I’m a bit fragile today ... we’ve been together more than I’ve been without him.’’
Before the surgery, Newton told Nine News: "I couldn't say I'm scared ... I'm apprehensive.
"I've got a family I want to be with for a long time. I've got a good attitude."
Newton has a history of heart and lung problems and has been taken to hospital twice in the past 18 months.
His wife Patti and his grandchildren are by his side.
It is understood that Newton’s son Matthew, who lives in the US, has called the family but is not expected to return to Australia at this stage.
Earlier this week, the troubled actor avoided a conviction for allegedly assaulting a Miami hotel clerk provided he paid the man $US11,500 ($11,100).
A Nine spokeswoman said reports that Newton had been "rushed" to hospital were incorrect.
"This is scheduled surgery," the spokeswoman told Fairfax Media. "He has stents in his heart, so there is nothing further they can do [apart from surgery]. He knew he would have to have surgery eventually."
The spokeswoman said Newton was initially unconcerned by the pain, believing it to be indigestion, but visited the doctor as a precaution.
He was told he needed a quadruple bypass and was admitted to hospital that afternoon.
Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites have been flooded with support and well wishes for the 74-year-old.
Newton is a 60-year media veteran, making his first appearance on Melbourne radio in 1952. He is best known for appearing with the late Graham Kennedy on In Melbourne Tonight and hosting The Bert Newton Show, Good Morning Australia and several other programs.
He has hosted more Logie Awards than any other presenter.