Josh Maldenis and Andi Thomas had to hide the pregnancy during filming and subsequent promotional appearances.
Western Australian My Kitchen Rules contestants Josh Maldenis and Andi Thomas might have lost the sudden death round to Ashlee and Sophia on Wednesday night, but the pair have revealed they had already made a deal in advance to leave the show.
"We knew we were going home, we had already organised that with the producers."
Thomas was suffering morning sickness at the time and she and partner Maldenis organised with producers that they would leave the show that night - whether they won, lost or drew.
"We knew we were going home, we had already organised that with the producers," Thomas said.
"It was too hard with the pregnancy; we wanted to give it up.
"It was so hard not having a drink or eating things or being put off by the smell of raw meat, it was so bad."
Thomas, who was in her first trimester at the time, said she and Maldenis both wanted to put her health, and the health of her unborn son during her pregnancy, before the show.
"I was vomiting; no one would know but I was throwing up in between," she said.
"The nurse had to give me the bucket and it was a reality check, I thought 'This is not worth it'.
"Josh was very worried about my health and the baby's health.
"Once we both made that decision to go, we went straight into the bosses and said 'We're having a baby, I've been pregnant for a little while and we don't think it's safe to continue'."
The pair lost their final challenge to Ashlee and Sophia by one point and Thomas believed producers wouldn't have let them win, even if they had been the better competitors on the night.
"I don't think they would have allowed that to happen because I don't think it would have looked right," she said.
"It was weird cooking knowing we were leaving.
"Even if we did beat them by one point I would have said as much as I'm honoured to win, we're going home; it was scripted because of the pregnancy."
While other eliminated contestants will return for a wildcard second chance in the "Comeback Kitchen", Thomas and Maldenis won't compete again.
"It gets intense in the competition and at the end of the day it's a bit of fun," she said.
"We did take it seriously but we don't want a career in food.
"They said you can pack your bag now and go or you can cook again, but we decided to cook because I wanted to do it properly and still give it my best shot."
While viewers might have thought the pair's choice to cook an Asian meal while competing against Cambodian Sophia Pou and Vietnamese Ashlee Pham was ill-considered, Thomas said she made the decision for personal reasons.
"I'm half-Asian, so I decided I wanted to cook something that meant to me rather than something really fancy," she said, in a nod to her Burmese father.
Thomas said she had been relieved their final cook-off was against the NSW pair because "they haven't been the nicest or had much respect".
"I was actually glad we were going to be cooking off against them because they're not our friends," she said.
"Sam and Chris, Kerry and Craig and Dan and Steph were our closest friends so we definitely didn't want to cook off against them.
"If that was their tactic to win the comp, to carry on like that, to be nasty, then each to their own.
"They fight and call each other c..ts; they swear at each other, but that can't be used in a commercial seven o'clock timeslot."
Thomas, who has continued to work in a King Street store where she's been told "you're an identical version of someone on a cooking show right now, it's uncanny", is due in July and said she and Maldenis haven't looked back since leaving the competition.
"It's a bit of a weight off my shoulders because we couldn't properly celebrate it because we had to keep it a secret," she said.
"We've got no regrets; it was the right thing to do."