His life as a corrupt stockbroker came under the spotlight in The Wolf of Wall Street, and now the heat of a 60 Minutes interview proved too much for Jordan Belfort as he stormed out of an interview with reporter Liz Hayes.
Claiming he’d been hit with ‘‘a hatchet job’’, Belfort stormed off after questioning from Hayes over his current financial set-up which has repeatedly come into question over his earnings and the amount he is repaying to his victims, who lost more than $200 million.
'Wolf of Wall St' storms out
Who is Ramon Perez?
Malcolm Turnbull refuses TV interviews
Sydney's closed venues
Bad year for Top Gear
Grover visits Brisbane
Beauty trends parallel pop culture
Prince honoured at BET awards
'Wolf of Wall St' storms out
Why did Jordan Belfort, the jailed US stockbroker and subject of a Hollywood movie, storm out of a 60 Minutes interview?
Hayes had questioned Belfort’s finances, in particular the oral contract he has with his management, the Fordham Company. ‘‘Is that an attempt to hide your income?’’
After repeatedly telling Hayes to move on from her line of questioning, he told her: ‘‘You’re a very nice woman ... but this is obviously a hatchet job."
He then stormed off, saying: ‘‘You can air what you want out of this interview - it’s done.’’
He added in an exasperated tone: ‘‘You’ve got a lot of nerve, boy, I tell you.
‘‘I was told this was a friendly, nice interview. No one has ever treated me as disrespectfully as you have.’’
Questions have been repeatedly raised over Belfort’s income, after he was convicted of fraud and money laundering for which he served 22 months in jail. As part of his jail term, he was required to repay more than $100 million in restitution to his victims but prosecutors have claimed he is falling way short of repaying his debts.
Belfort maintains he is a changed man and is now working as a motivational speaker. He is holding seminars in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Auckland in June, with ticket prices ranging from $129-$795.
Earlier this year, however, The Wall Street Journal reported allegations that Belfort is staying* in Australia and living off royalties well out of United States' jurisdiction.
At the time of the report, Belfort took to Facebook to condemn the article as ‘‘the most idiotic, venomous and blatantly false attack on my character’’ and said he was committed to turning over the profits of his income.
Martin Scorsese’s biopic last year saw Leonardo DiCaprio bring to the screen the story of Belfort, who was reportedly paid $940,500 for the movie rights.
Hayes took to Twitter to share her bemusement at the situation.
Seems Jordan Belfort thought I was the wolf! Tonight @60mins 8pm— liz hayes (@thelizhayes) May 11, 2014
Clarification. Words "lotta nerve boy" etc directed at his people. Of course "disrespect" was for me.— liz hayes (@thelizhayes) May 11, 2014
In an interview with News Talk 6PR 882 this morning, Belfort was scathing about his 60 Minutes experience.
— News Talk 6PR 882 (@6PR) May 11, 2014