Smoke rising from Gil Groggin and Buchan South fires. Photo: Robert F Plumtree
Warnings have been issued for areas throughout the state as bushfires escalate in extreme conditions.
At 3.37pm, the following areas were recommended to evacuate:
- Tubbut, Dellicknora, Deddick Valley, Cabanandra, Bonang
- Bete Bolong, Bete Bolong North, Jarrahmond
The Country Fire Authority has issued emergency warnings for the following areas:
- Darraweit Guim
- Clarkefield, Goonawarra, Sunbury and The Gap
- Alberton West, Hiawatha, Jack River, Madalya and Staceys Bridge
- Gisborne South
- Bellbird Creek, Cabbage Tree Creek, Club Terrace, Combienbar and Murrungowar
- Gisborne South, Sunbury and The Gap
- Buchan, Buchan South and Sunny Point
- Riddells Creek
- Alberton, Yarram, Greenmount, Won Wron, Whitelaw, Macs Creek, Devon North, Calrossie, Worange, Glen Rose
Watch and act warnings had been issued for numerous other areas.
Firefighters throughout the state are bracing for the worst bushfire conditions since Black Saturday.
Prolonged heatwaves and near-record temperatures have created dangerous conditions in Victoria, and an extreme fire danger warning has been declared for six districts, including central Victoria, north-eastern Victoria and Gippsland.