Open slather

Here with us in the studio: Sulla

Here with us in the studio: Sulla

Ok, today, because I'm feeling exceptionally eloquent and witty, I thought we'd do the old "Ask Sam Anything" shtick and if you actually give a rat's as to the answer to that question, I'll do my best.

Type-back kicks off at 11am and goes to 1pm on Friday, June 21. Format is simple. Ask a question, I'll give you my honest answer. I will not discuss anything, however, about my daughter, separation, Family Court proceedings or salary.

In a world first exclusive, I'll also be channelling former Roman Dictator and all round legend, Lucius Cornelius Sulla and you can ask him why he didn't murder Caesar when he had his chance, and exactly why the greatest courtesan in Rome left him her estate when she died.

You can follow Sam on Twitter here. His email address is here.

Please don't take it personally if I do not reply to your email as they come in thick and fast depending on the topic. Please know, I appreciate you taking the time to write and comment and would offer mummy hugs to all.

• Do you feel you're growing over time? Ie spiritually or emotionally?

jp
    June 20, 2013, 10:28PM
    • Yep. It really hurts though. - Sam

Sam de Brito
      The Library
      June 21, 2013, 9:38AM
  • What's with the Roman history - a new interest, or just a previously undisclosed one? Keep it up, it adds a new dimension to a blog.

Ives
    Subi
    June 20, 2013, 11:22PM
    • It's all history. History is the greatest education in psychology and human nature you can study. - Sam

Sam de Brito
      The Library
      June 21, 2013, 9:42AM
    • Agreed.

Caligula
      June 21, 2013, 11:51AM
    • Agreed ... but there's a lot of math involved, too!

Harry Seldon
      Hyperspace
      June 21, 2013, 12:36PM
    • <can't spell my own name ... sheesh>

Hari Seldon
      Hyperspace
      June 21, 2013, 12:38PM
  • First up - thanks for Dan Carlin.... he is awesome. Dan's excitable tones have literally gotten me through the first month of my shitting, puking, crying progeny.

And now the questions, I have three...

Were Australian colonialists right to ban Aboriginals from drinking alcohol?

Should gender inequities in the workplace be rectified by quota's based on gender?

Lastly - and you can blame Dan Carlin for this - Was the U.S. decision to use nuclear weapons against Japan in 1945 the correct decision?

Nyd
    June 21, 2013, 7:42AM
    • 1. But still give them smallpox? It seems a little hypocritical, don't you think?
      2. Yes.
      3. I would have done it. You know how many Russians died in WWII? 40 million. 20 per cent of the Polish population died. The death toll from Nagasaki and Hiroshima combined was under 400,000. - Sam

Sam de Brito
      The Library
      June 21, 2013, 9:49AM
    • Sam, whilst I largely agree with you on the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, I reckon the second one on Nagasaki was totally uncalled for, and just showed the US wanting to test out a hydrogen bomb, compared to the atomic one. Japan was finished, it was not necessary and was basically a war crime, that killed thousands of innocent civilians.

There are no civilians in war. That wasn't a question. - Sam