To the men who moisturise

Man Scape

A journalist for 20 years and a man for longer, Richard Hughes would never, ever use canned shaving foam.

View more entries from Man Scape

Zoom in on this story. Explore all there is to know.

It's not a crime for a man to want to save his skin - is it?

It's not a crime for a man to want to save his skin - is it?

Have you upped the ante on "beauty" products? Have you become high maintenance without even realising it?

I'm starting to wonder if I have. The other night, as I was getting into bed, I asked my wife if she'd seen my "man night moisturiser". I hadn't and I'd been looking for it because I needed it.

If she was a different sort of woman she might have said, "it's with your man night serum and your man night eye cream". I would not have detected any facetiousness because I would have found this information useful. You see, I do actually use man serum and man eye cream.

Instead, she simply laughed. At me.

How did this happen? I could take the obvious escape route and blame this blog, but to be honest I've been using "male grooming" products for quite a while. If you could see my face, you would agree it's been worth it. Beautiful, me.

Which leads me to wonder what now is my bare minimum. What else can I no longer do without? Foot cream? Use it every morning before I put on my socks and the feet are as soft as a baby's. Styling paste? Hair's never looked better. Cleanser? Softens the whiskers before the daily shave.

Somehow all these non-essentials have become essential. When I travel anywhere I need the large wash bag.

But if I was to go camping this summer - and I'd like to - I like to think that my wash bag would comprise toothpaste and brush, shampoo and sunscreen. I like to envisage myself doing without floss and conditioner and, well, soap - let alone my man moisturiser that hydrates, polishes and refreshes my complexion.

But I do wonder how well I'd cope.

Gents, what handsomeness products (it's better than calling them beauty products) can't you live without?

• YOLO

Don't let laughter stand in the way of your pursuit to avoid being cast as a future 'before' photo.

Facefighter
    November 19, 2013, 4:20PM
    • I recently had a weekend away... the horror I experienced when I discovered I'd left my toiletries bag at home. I disguised it to my friends by saying it was the malaria tabs I was concerned about. In reality it was the deo, fragrance, body scrub, hair product and above all else the moisturiser I was worried about!

I was pleasantly surprised to survive the weekend without scaring any small children or my BO overpowering the captain of the plane.

Andrew JHB
      aussie in johannesburg
      November 19, 2013, 4:41PM
      • Geeez mate, use some soap on your bonce.... it wont kill you.

Corkie
        West Australia
        November 19, 2013, 7:17PM
    • I'm glad i don't need it, but by the time i physically do need it, that's no use for it!

Boyish look
      Middle age
      November 19, 2013, 4:45PM
      • Everyone needs to moisturise and if you think " I don't need it yet" then you are fooling yourself. Taking care of your appearance is not "metrosexual" I have been in meetings with men who obviously don't moisturise and they have skin that is flaking and they rub their stubble making that awful sandpaper sound. Wait until you get melanoma on your face, then you might start caring about your face.

Whilst I am on a rant, men who don't wear cologne, wake up! A man lightly fragranced is very sexy. I have met many men from their cologne, I have gone up to ask them what they are wearing. Believe me, a beautiful smelling man with nice skin (and I don't mean manscaped is a huge turn on)

Rachael
        Hobart
        November 19, 2013, 7:18PM
      • @ Rachael

How is getting melanoma related to not moisturising?

A Pox On Both Your Houses
        November 20, 2013, 4:15AM
      • Rachael, Melanoma has nothing to do with moisturiser or the softness of your stubble on your face. These creams etc, offer absolutely no health benefit what so ever.
        It continues to amaze me how incorrect the cause and effect links are sometime s made.

David
        November 20, 2013, 9:04AM
      • @A Pox & David: Rachael is possibly saying that because significant percentages of moisturiser has sunscreen in it. My moisturiser has had added sunscreen for twenty years. I know that's not what she said, but it's possibly (or I hope it is) behind her comment.

With his, er, lack of covering on the top of his head, I've had to encourage my husband to put something on it each day, or risk the skin cancer my FIL had on his scone.

cuts both ways
        November 20, 2013, 11:29AM
      • @Rachel - thanks for your opinions, but making alarming threat like melanoma without moisturizer is i must say respectfully seems unscientific. I'm not sure if any manufacturer would be brave enough to make such assertiveness especially when you think everyone needs it.

I won't get into cologne thing with you because i trust your instincts of men! That can be a good dating advice!

Boyish look
        Middle Age
        November 20, 2013, 4:06PM
      • @rachael. Men who wear cologne creep me out. It's usually used to hide disgusting body odour, or poor dental hygeine, or used by insecure men who think it make them attractive to women. It's a fail on all counts. 'Studies' consistently show women prefer men to smell 'clean', but not perfumed, which, lets face it, is what cologne is. There are cultural differences of course, it seems more acceptable in mediterraneans, but it's definitely not preferred in anglo culture, being a sign of unneccesary vanity, a fairly ugly trait. I regard men who purchase expensive skin products as victims, falling for the staggering b.s. pumped out by the beauty industry with it's molecularly activated hydration substances and all the other pseudo-scientific palaver that lets them charge top dollar for their sticky wares.

Faniya