JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript to use My News, My Clippings, My Comments and user settings.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

PNG policy working despite more boats: Burke

Date

James Robertson, Judith Ireland

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Is the PNG solution working?

Immigration Minister Tony Burke says the PNG solution is starting to work, but Liberal MP Josh Frydenberg begs to differ.

PT0M0S 620 349
Refugees sit on the SIEV 358 asylum seeker boat after it capsized last year.

Refugees sit on the SIEV 358 asylum seeker boat after it capsized last year.

Immigration Minister Tony Burke says the government's PNG resettlement policy is working, despite recent boat arrivals including one in which five people are believed to have drowned on Tuesday.

''There is no doubt that it is having an impact,'' he told the ABC's Lateline program. ''Week on week there has been a trajectory downward [in the number of people arriving in Australia by boat].''

In the month since the government announced its radical plan to resettle all people who arrive by boat, more than 2500 asylum seekers have arrived.

A further 106 were rescued on Tuesday, after a vessel capsized near Christmas Island, with another five feared drowned.

''Some of the smuggling operations have tried to put together [. . .] a surge to overwhelm the system,'' Mr Burke said, while noting he had seen evidence that other asylum seekers were cancelling or delaying trips.

Mr Burke also defended the workability of the asylum policy, saying that arrivals would continue to be sent to PNG for resettlement, even if numbers remained high.

''We have an agreement that gets reviewed by Papua New Guinea and Australia after 12 months,'' he said.

But Mr Burke suggested that the strain on PNG might be eased by an ''increasingly significant'' number of asylum seekers preparing to return home of their own accord, instead of resettling in PNG.

He also said the government, if it were re-elected, would seek to broker agreements with countries other than PNG.

The government announced a plan to extend resettlements to Nauru earlier this month.

At an Indonesian conference on asylum seekers on Thursday, Papua New Guinea Minister for Foreign Affairs, Rimbink Pato, confirmed that Australia would get no asylum seekers back under his controversial deal with Mr Rudd.

This comes after PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill told Fairfax Media last weekend that he had not agreed to settle all asylum seekers who are found to be refugees after processing on Manus Island and that Australia would need to take back a share of them.

Mr Pato also told ABC Radio on Wednesday that about 50 Iranians had already agreed to return to their home country from PNG since the start of the new arrangement.

Mr Burke conceded on Tuesday that despite overall numbers dropping, people smugglers had recently put on a ''surge''.

Since Sunday, three boats carrying about 400 people have arrived, in addition to the boat that capsized on Tuesday.

''In the last few days, some of the smuggling operations have tried to put together a bit of a surge and to see if they can overwhelm the current system,'' Mr Burke told ABC television on Tuesday.

Tuesday's drownings began when the Australian Maritime Safety Authority received a request for help from a person on board the boat on Tuesday, about 120 nautical miles north of Christmas Island.

By 3.30pm, 106 people were recovered from the water. But at 6.30pm on Tuesday night AMSA called off the search.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority said on Tuesday evening that the search for survivors had been called off after interviews with survivors that all survivors had been recovered.

''Information received from survivors indicates that up to five people remain unaccounted for. After an extensive search of the area for further survivors or bodies, none have been sighted, it is therefore believed any people unaccounted for have gone down with part of the vessel,'' a spokeswoman said.

HMAS Parramatta is taking the survivors to Christmas Island.

The deaths at sea come as the federal government faces a legal challenge to its resettlement plan, which it says would mean no asylum seekers who arrive in Australia by boat would be resettled here.

But Mr Burke said the legal terrain for that challenge was different to when the High Court struck down its plan to process refugees in Malaysia in 2011.

''After the Malaysia decision we changed the law for processing,'' he said on Monday. ''People have been processed under that new law.''

Tuesday's incident is the first boat tragedy since Labor announced its PNG plan in July.

It comes after two boat disasters last month, where a baby boy and four people died in two separate incidents. In June, 13 people died in another disaster.

The government has claimed that boat arrivals have fallen by as much as 30 per cent since the Papua New Guinea plan was announced, although a Fairfax Media analysis showed the drop was less than 20 per cent.

with AAP

29 comments

  • If Tony Burke thinks the PNG policy is working he must be deluded. I suppose he also believes the Carbon Tax will cool the planet and Budget will return to surplus in 2014/15.

    Commenter
    mark
    Date and time
    August 21, 2013, 9:37AM
    • Well said Mark.
      If while mouthing this propaganda he looks like a fool acts like a fool then he must be a fool

      Commenter
      Vincent Vega
      Location
      Sydney
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 9:59AM
    • Hate to tell you but if you bother to do some reading you would discover that last month we had our lowest CO2 emissions in ten years, thanks to the Carbon Tax. A widely published article yesterday indicated that now 95 percent of scientists believe climate change is real and caused by human intervention. Abbott's stance that climate change is crap goes down well with the uninformed and uneducated. People who listen to Alan Jones and Ray Hadley, etc. The PNG policy is a reaction to a right wing agenda in the media, it has far more chance of working than Abbott's mindless stop the boats mantra. How is he going to send back boats when Indonesia has said no? They have two hundred million people. Abbott has convinced people the yellow peril is arriving, you're obviously one of them.

      Commenter
      Eric Olthwaite
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 10:21AM
    • It's amazing that the ALP think that a policy is working when we have a flood of boats but the policy is not working when no boats are coming and there are 4 people in detention. Australia has KRudd to thank for this problem that should never exist. At least we get to show our gratitude on 7 September.

      Commenter
      Sticks
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 10:26AM
    • Agreed. A surge in boats in recent days, 5 deaths at sea, very few people actually sent to PNG and the policy is working....would not like to see his policy if it was not working.

      Commenter
      dexxter
      Location
      melbourne
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 10:30AM
    • @mark

      Extremely uninformed "Comment".

      Give some serious thought to educating yourself away from the Bolts. Murdochs, Jones, Hadleys of Australia.

      Commenter
      J. Fraser
      Location
      Queensland
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 10:49AM
    • Questions: 1; why did Labor have to implement the PNG solution and, 2; was it ever necessary, and 3; if it works (jury is out regardless of what Burke says), can Labor or Burke ever brag about it?

      Commenter
      housemartin
      Location
      Hong Kong
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 10:52AM
    • @ housemartin, Question 4; how much did the "Pacific Solution' cost and how many people did it keep away?

      Commenter
      rayj
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 10:57AM
    • Come on, people. Don't blame Kevin Rudd for dismantling the Pacific Solution. According to the great man, we, the voters, were to blame because we "wanted" it by voting for him in 2007, even though he never mentioned once during the election campaign that he would dismantle the Pacific Solution.

      Yes, the great man has spoken - we are to blame. He is not to blame.

      Gotta zip!

      Commenter
      Rodrigo
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 10:57AM
    • Mark,
      Under the LNP policy boat arrivals (and sinkings) may increase too.

      If boat people start scuttling their boats to avoid being turned around, there might be more drownings that current statistics.

      Boat arrivals may also increase because the asylum seekers may win the jackpot by getting a TPV and being able to work for the dole.

      This will be highly desirable and be exploitable by the people smugglers, and might become the new product for sale.

      Commenter
      bendou
      Location
      Sydney
      Date and time
      August 21, 2013, 11:04AM

More comments

Comments are now closed

Related Coverage

Is the PNG solution working? (Thumbnail) Is the PNG solution working?

Immigration Minister Tony Burke says the PNG solution is starting to work, but Liberal MP Josh Frydenberg begs to differ.

Amendments could stymie PNG plan challenge

As expected, the Rudd government's PNG plan is being challenged in the courts.

Small steps, no major breakthroughs at refugee conference

The Indonesian President's special conference to stop the flow of refugees has ended with a few small steps towards deterring people smugglers from working in the region, but no major breakthroughs.

Brisbane the election's ground zero

Both major parties will formally launch their 2013 election campaigns in Brisbane.

Dose of reality to spice up tiff

In two key respects, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will have an advantage over his opponent at Wednesday's debate at the Broncos Leagues Club in Brisbane: it's on his home turf and the club boasts a red colour scheme.

Lawyers launch High Court challenge to PNG refugee program

High Court challenge claims policy is invalid and in breach of Australia's international treaty obligations.

First families sent to Nauru under Labor's hardline asylum seeker policy

The first group of asylum seekers, including the first family group, has been sent to Nauru under Labor's new resettlement arrangement.

Related Coverage

Featured advertisers

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo