Pyne abandons Gonski model
The government says it will retain Labor's funding levels for school education, but will introduce a new model for distributing the money from the 2015 school year.PT3M31S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2y7cx 620 349 November 26, 2013
year. On Wednesday Mr Pyne announced an extra $230 million would be allocated to Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia, the states that did not sign up to the funding model.
The federal minister said he had given the extra money to those states ''to begin to fix Bill Shorten's shambles''.
Mr Piccoli said a ''no disadvantage clause'' in the agreement meant no state could get a better deal than NSW.
Education Minister Christopher Pyne. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
''So we will be looking at what's been offered to the other three states who didn't sign up,'' he said.
The president of the NSW Teachers Federation, Maurie Mulheron, said Mr Pyne was rewarding the ''belligerent'' states that did not sign up to Gonski.
''It's just outrageous,'' he said. ''He's proposing to punish the states that did sign up like NSW, cut funding from them and then redistribute that, and reward the states that did not sign up.
'If [Christopher Pyne] actually goes ahead with that, NSW schools are going to be worse off": Adrian Piccoli.
''I think [Mr] Pyne has seriously underestimated the political will of the education community to fight him on this.
''There is huge ownership of the Gonski model right across the sector now and he will have the fight of his life on his hands.
''This will be something that will galvanise the community well into the future.''
More than $2 billion of the final two years of Gonski money that NSW will lose will come from government schools, according to department figures published earlier this year.
The independent schools are set to lose about $84 million and about $250 million will come from Catholic schools.
The executive director of the Catholic Education Commission NSW, Brian Croke, said these were ''very significant numbers''.
The Association of Independent Schools of NSW executive director Geoff Newcombe called on the federal government to ''honour its commitment to education in NSW in the bilateral agreement''.