Scott Morrison's own conduct should now be the subject of the inquiry he has commissioned into the chaos and disaster that unfolded on Manus Island last week.
The inquiry's terms of reference should be widened to include who gave the Immigration Minister such wildly inaccurate information after the violence - and what steps he took to verify it before going public.
The minister now concedes he was wrong to assert, without qualification, that 23-year-old Iranian Reza Barati was killed outside the detention centre when he and others "absconded" from the "safety" it afforded. But this is not the only one of his initial assertions that is in dispute. He also said the asylum seeker who was shot in the buttocks received his wound "outside the centre", that just two shots were fired and there was no suggestion anyone employed by security contractor G4S was involved. All have been challenged.
Gone far enough: G4S guards prevent entry to the Manus Island morgue holding the body of an Iranian asylum Photo: Nick Moir
Even when he conceded that there were "conflicting reports" about where Mr Barati died, Mr Morrison insisted, again without qualification, he could "guarantee" the safety of asylum seekers who remain in the centre and who "conduct themselves" appropriately.
The logical conclusion is he is accusing all those injured of misbehaving, yet his statement is contradicted by graphic accounts I have received from those who tended the wounded, including the dying Mr Barati.
They tell stories of terrified asylum seekers, who had not been involved in any form of protest or name-calling, hiding under their beds before being dragged out by locals employed by security contractor G4S and beaten or slashed.
Mistakes: Scott Morrison. Photo: James Alcock
On Sunday, Mr Morrison seemed to be preparing the way for a get-out from his "guarantee", asserting that where asylum seekers behaved in a "riotous and aggressive" behaviour, this "will escalate the risk to everyone in the centre".
Alarm bells should have been ringing once it became clear that more than 60 unarmed asylum seekers had suffered injuries, many of them serious and one causing death, yet no one else was hurt and little property was damaged.
Another matter of contention that must be investigated is the catalyst for heightened tensions among the asylum seekers.
The minister dismisses as "false" reports that the asylum seekers were told on the Sunday they had no prospect of permanent resettlement in Australia, a third country or on Manus and should accept voluntary return to their homelands.
He insists they were told those found to be refugees would be offered settlement in PNG, that a third country option would not be offered - and neither PNG nor Australia would assist in finding one.
This account is rejected by whistle-blowing interpreter Azita Bokan and another who was present but has asked his name not be used. They say the message was that the asylum seekers should go back to where they came from.
The bigger questions, which will not be addressed by the inquiry, are whether the detention centres on Manus Island and Nauru are operating in contravention of Australia's international treaty obligations, and, most importantly, whether there is a more humane way to stop the boats.