A man charged with the attempted shooting murder of a pedestrian in Melbourne's CBD will plead not guilty.
Fouad Elfayegh's lawyer Steve Pica announced his client's position when he appeared on Friday in a Melbourne court.
Police earlier said the 26-year-old Carlton victim was lucky to be alive after a passing motorist shot him in the chest last month.
They disclosed that he had been involved in an argument with a group of men on the corner of Elizabeth and La Trobe streets, which spilled onto the road about 3am on April 13.
It was alleged the driver got out of a passing car, shot him and drove off.
Mr Elfayegh, of Lalor, appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court for a filing hearing charged with attempted murder and other charges that included intentionally causing serious injury.
Prosecutor Gemma Walton sought directions that included police format CCTV footage and within seven days request a DNA forensic report.
Mr Pica said his client would apply for bail at a later date and noted that there were no custody management issues to be addressed.
Magistrate John Doherty remanded Elfayegh in custody to appear again in July.