Give us a break on parking

Come on local governments, give us a break. Ease up on the parking fees. I know it's a great revenue raiser, but don't you get enough from our rates, drive-by security fees and bin levies? It's getting ridiculous.

I know the push is on for us to stop using our cars but until the infrastructure matches the grand plan, that's not going to happen.

The train line running down the centre of the freeway, from north and south, doesn't have the parking infrastructure at many stations to support it. Try Cockburn Central, for example.

Canning Bridge? Well that seems to be a private station for the residents of the Raffles Hotel, because there's absolutely no parking anywhere nearby. You'll pay to park in the nearest car park, defeating the point of saving money on the journey into town.

The truth is, most of us want to park near our destination and that's getting harder and harder in Perth.

Five minutes here, loading zone there, taxi zone here, absolutely no standing there – give us back some bays.

I'm happy to pay (well not really happy, but accepting of the inevitable), but can I have a bay that lasts longer than 30 minutes in the CBD? The multi storeys, while convenient, are massively expensive, bar one, which is as far away from the main drag as possible.

Have I had a parking fine lately? Fortunately not, because I'm one of those who now uses the credit card in the machines (great invention), but there are plenty of people who don't have, or don't trust, the credit card and won't do that. So they rattle around for change, can't find it and end up being stung.

So here's an idea... let us pay as we leave our street parking.

Actually, it's not my idea; it works in many countries where a locking system is in place until you pay to leave. That way, you get to your appointment on time, have time to access some loose change and know exactly how long you've been there.

And what about those old meters that take just dollar coins, 20c pieces and 10c pieces, how hard would it have been when they were updating those to cater for the dollar coin a few years ago to include slots for 50c pieces and the ubiquitous 5c piece, which is all we find in our ashtrays in moments of parking crisis.

Now we hear that one suburban council has put forward a proposal to start charging a minimum fee of almost $8 a day at shopping centres, hospitals and other major business spots. Our last bastions of parking freedom.

The Melville City Council claims it's inevitable across the metropolitan area, the State Government denies that.

Let's see who's right.

• Your opening two paragraphs are exactly what most drivers have felt for ages. Nonetheless, those same people also believe it is futile in kicking up a stink, because there is nothing anybody can do to change the gluttonous attitude to the State Government, who pull all the strings in this matter. But, it is always nice to see this issue raised in the media.

Gluttonous Cretins
    Perth
    April 19, 2012, 11:43AM
    • Here's a wild idea - let motorcycles park on the footpath like they do in Melbourne. Frees up loads of parking spots for cars and makes motorcycling more attractive - thereby reducing the volume of large cars carrying single occupants on our roads..

Wouldn't happen here though I guess - wouldn't want to be seen to be copying anything the Eastern States do..

Steve
      Perth
      April 19, 2012, 2:08PM
      • Maybe you could catch the bus to the train station...

Badge
        Utopia
        April 19, 2012, 2:21PM
        • Oh heavens no--that would NEVER do!

I've never driven. And I've lived in towns where that made life VERY difficult (like having to bike 4 miles just to get to the nearest bus stop, go to work--45 mins by bus, then come home and bike another 4 miles back).

I have no sympathy for drivers, for this matter.

Patrick F
          Albany NY USA
          April 20, 2012, 7:34AM
        • Sounds like more time and more effort, most public transport only makes economic sense if your time is worthless.

Mal
          April 20, 2012, 2:29PM
      • Melville City Council lost a lot of money from their risky investments using rate payer's money (including my own) in the bust. Not surprising they are keen to make some extra dollars from Garden City. I'm sure AMP will be stoked that people stop going to GC to avoid parking fees and shop online instead cause they certainly won't be using public transport if they don't already.

donut
        April 19, 2012, 4:31PM
        • I would be stoked if people stop going to Garden City because of parking fees! I avoid Garden City like the plague because parking on a Saturday is a nightmare! I'd happily pay if it meant finding parking more easily. It's a great shopping centre otherwise but the parking situation is worse than Chadstone on 24 December...

T
          April 19, 2012, 4:47PM
      • whoever invented being able to use a credit card in parking meters deserves a hug and a balloon.
        Such a great invention.

now if we could just encourage pub owners to install paypass or another quick credit card payment technology to make eliminate the need to get money out for the pub, i would be a very happy girl.

sparkles
        the tardis
        April 19, 2012, 5:25PM
        • We got rid of out previous,mayor because he was in bed with developers but unfortunately not before he pushed by-laws to be able to to put in ticket machines any where within council boundaries with out justification - One day we will have the nick name City of Ticket Machines. The coastal development was to be for all not just customers of the developers but they will keep the rest of us away with ticket machines.

RonaldR
          Cockburn central
          April 19, 2012, 7:42PM
          • I've been working and parking in West Perth for over 20 years. Used to take 20 mins to drive in, now takes 50! I pay to park and the area where it recently changed to a 3 hour limit, so instead of taking a lunch break, I go out twice a day to move my car and get another ticket, etc. You actually HAVE to MOVE your car if you park in a time limited area. As I leave work late, I drive as I'm too scared to take the train anywhere from 7:30 – 12:00pm. It costs me $500 a month to park. Why can't the City of Perth use just a tiny part of our parking money and build some parking solutions in built-up areas?

blackfruitbat