Two dogs have died after being poisoned at a Perth park. Photo: Steven Siewert
Vets have warned dog owners to take care while walking their pets at a park in Perth's southeastern suburbs following three cases of poisoning.
The Australian Veterinary Association said two of the dogs, which had been walked at Rushton Park in Kelmscott, had died after suspected 1080 poisoning.
The poison is used to kill pest species such as foxes and feral cats.
"It's best to avoid the area, but if dog owners decide to take their dogs there, they should be kept on a leash at all times," AVA WA division president Rick Read said.
Dr Read said AVA could not yet confirm if 1080 had caused the deaths, with rangers advising it had not been dispensed in the park.
"But it's evident that a lethal toxin is present and clinical signs of the dogs affected are suggestive of 1080 poisoning.
"It could also be the result of an unidentified naturally occurring toxin.
"We hope this isn't a result of malicious baiting."
Signs of 1080 poisoning in dogs include howling, severe agitation, running around wildly, and seizures and fits.
If dog owners suspect their dog may have been poisoned, they should seek immediate veterinary attention.
The AVA has provided vets and emergency vet hospitals in Perth with guidelines for treating potential 1080 poisoning cases.