Luscious ways with lips

Luscious lips.

Luscious lips. Photo: Steve Baccon

There's nothing new about luscious lips - men love them, women would like to have them - but, curiously, the type of lip we're after has changed. Bee-stung has been hamstrung (one day you're in, Angelina Jolie, next day you're out). Exaggerated lips were desirable three or four years ago; now a softer, more tender lip is admired. And this - hoorah - is achievable, through fair means or foul.

Fashion has something to do with this shift in taste and the zeitgeist plays its part (these are more reasoned times, post-GFC) but so too does good old-fashioned technology. A trout pout was ''in'' for years because it was what you were most likely to end up with if you took the step of visiting your local skin clinic. As thousands do. Dermal fillers plump lips better than any make-up wizardry but for many years, they worked a little too well (see Kath Day-Knight in mother-of-the-bride mode). ''The products and the way they are applied, the techniques, have changed even in the past year,'' says Dr Sean Arendse, a cosmetic physician at Toorak's Flawless Rejuvenation Skin Clinic. New injectable products such as Restylane Lip Volume enable a more subtle treatment to enhance volume of the lip and define the lip border for a beautiful result. They also have in-built pain relief so dental blocks are no longer needed. ''It allows me to exactly tailor the result,'' Dr Arendse says. ''Women now want a natural look to enhance their own beauty. Most have got over the 'bigger is better' mentality. Those who haven't I suggest go elsewhere.''

Dermal fillers plump lips better than any makeup wizardry but for many years they worked a little too well.

There might be other reasons to look elsewhere for an improved pout. Lips can of course be enhanced and perfected through clever use of makeup. Rachel Montgomery, make-up artist of the year at the Australian Beauty Industry Awards, recommends using a lip brush for a perfect lip shape. '''I also love to highlight the cupid's bow. Use a soft, light peach hue to create a small 'V' at the top of the lip before adding your lip colour - this gives the appearance of a poutier top lip and it is a favourite trick of makeup artists.'' The Sydney-based expert says that if you have smaller lips, never wear a matte or dark shade of lipstick - this will only emphasise the thinness. ''Using a gloss or high-gloss lip colour in a lighter shade will give the appearance of a larger pout.'' There are dozens of good products that will do the trick. The ''plumpers'' that make the lips swell temporarily with cinnamon and capsicum have fallen out of vogue along with the trout pout (though Napoleon Perdis has Love Bite Lip Plump, $28), but hydrators and glossers abound.

Lip Plump ($39), Benefit’s original lip plump of 1995, is a powerful primer that works to soften lips with jojoba oil while filling lines and building lips for a smooth finish. Jane Iredale’s Sugar&Butter Lip Exfoliator and Plumper ($54) is a tinted lip plumper with shea butter and peptides. Molton Brown Pep-rich Lip Booster ($40) helps combat the appearance of fine lines and dryness around the mouth, making lips appear fuller, less wrinkled and more defined. Good glosses include the sheer coverage Shu uemura Gloss Unlimited ($38), the velvety, high-definition Giorgio Armani Gloss D’Armani ($49) and Clinique's super glossy Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss ($32).

Lip glosses, make-up tricks or the big gun - lip fillers - all have a place in making lips look more luscious. What's your choice? How do you enhance your lips? Thousands of women opt for Restylane injections - which cost about $500 and last about eight months - and the numbers are increasing year on year. Are you among them?

• Yes I am among them. I have dermal filler every 9 months and have done it now 4 times. I only have half a syringe as my lips are already full however that half just enhances it a lil bit more for sexier look. My lips do not look like "The Shire" girls lips they have a nice shape like Jessica Alba’s ones. Never had any dramas with them therefore will probably have it done again.

It does not cost me much either a lot lot less than $500 that is specified in the article.

Candygirl
    nsw
    September 27, 2012, 10:22AM
    • Where do you go, @Candygirl?

Intrigued
      September 27, 2012, 10:55AM
    • You have lips like Jessica Alba?!! Oh wow... I'm in love already

albafan
      September 28, 2012, 6:42AM
  • Lazer Clinic in Parramatta they are at corner of Smith Street and Macquarie Street. I would recommend them 100%. They are also located at other suburbs.

Candygirl
    nsw
    September 27, 2012, 11:49AM
    • I would never inject my lips with anything. So I rely on lippies to give me the look I'm after. My lips are are medium plump - not too thin, not too Angelina Jolie and they are an even thickness. So I usually use a shiny lipstick in a nude colour as a base and then put another colour on my fingertip and swish it over my lips.

That way I can build up the colour to the level I like. As there is no definition to the lips (absolutely HATE lip liners), my lips look poutier and fuller without looking fake. And the colour makes my lips look like they are that colour instead of obviously lippied up.

I liken it to a lip stain. As the day progresses, I just swish more lipstick over my lips with my finger and add a bit of soft lip gloss to it. Sally Hansen has some yummy lip glosses. I buy the Vita B one (Berry flavoured). It does the trick perfectly as a shiny lip balm either under/over colour or on its own.

Audra Blue
      Brisbane
      September 27, 2012, 1:24PM
      • Du Wop's Lip Venom is brilliant. Bit tingly but so pouty!

Kate
        September 27, 2012, 5:46PM
        • Please tell me where in Melbourne I can buy 'Du Wop's Lip Venom?'

EGMelbourne
          CBD
          September 28, 2012, 9:54AM
      • Restylane was popular for a short while about 10 years ago, but only for as long as it took for a number of much better temporary and permanent fillers to be approved for the Australian market. No one need have a trout pout, that's a bizarre choice some women make.

C.Fairy
        September 27, 2012, 7:49PM
        • I like the "natural look", no, not the one you work hard for hours in front of the mirror to achieve, but your own "look", the one you wake up with in the morning. Wash your face, comb your hair - and there you are, ready to go! And talking about pouty lips; I clicked on Cavalli's fashion show clip just under this section in today's paper. Those models all pout! To tell the truth, they all look very serious, a bit cranky, meaning business. Can anybody tell me why models in "expensive" fashion shows usually all look so angry? And pout! But models in budget mail-order catalogues, like EziBuy for ex, they all smile and look happy without fail!

Country Girl