Smells like teen spirit

Sweet deal ... celebrity perfumes selling strongly in an otherwise flat market.

Sweet deal ... celebrity perfumes selling strongly in an otherwise flat market.

Has your taste in perfume changed over the years? Fragrance sales have been pretty ordinary in Australia in the first half of the year but the mass market fragrances - those sweet fruity ones with a celebrity attached - have continued to do well. It's young women who are buying these, who love the light fruity notes, but will they still be drawn to them in a decade's time?

Like their wearers, these fragrances are not sophisticated, nor are they complicated. In fact they are scented with the same formulae used in shampoos and deodorant body sprays, according to perfume evaluator Erica Moore of Michael Edwards Fragrances of the World. ''They're immensely popular and very successful,'' she says. ''They're affordable. They've brought fine fragrance to a market that is not sophisticated.'' Moore says young women find their fragrance style by experimenting with these types of perfumes.

''It could have been sitting there in a hot, unairconditioned warehouse for a year. (Comsumers) don't know; they don't think about it - they just look at the price.''

But they also want a bargain. ''Parallel market'' fragrances are flourishing, according to beauty market analyst Jo-Anne Mason. ''It's dumped stock and coming in really cheap,'' she says. ''It's a grey market. It is legal. They're buying it out of Dubai. It could have been sitting there in a hot, unairconditioned warehouse for a year. (Cosumers) don't know; they don't think about it - they just look at the price.'' These fragrances are usually found online.

So fruity sweet - tick; cheap - tick; named for a young female celebrity - bonus. Is it a young girl thing? How many women over 35 or even 25 have these criteria? Maybe this the sort of fragrance you've liked at some point - have you moved on? How have your tastes changed or developed? What are you wearing now? Or maybe you are one of the chic and lucky few who find their signature fragrance early on and never waver.

• I hear ya. 15 years ago that was definately me. I liked sweet n fruity - the most sophisicated scents I owned were Gucci Rush and YSL Babydoll. I wonder if the attraction to fruity tooty is hormonal or something? Because I distinctly remember snapping out of it around the same time I learned chocolate cake is not breakfast.

After that I tried to get more serious with CK Obsession, Flower by Kenzo, Clinique Happy. These days I buy Serge Lutens, Jo Malone, Miller Harris, Diptyque and Penhaligon's.

chrissychrispants
    June 28, 2012, 12:00PM
    • I wouldn't go so far as to describe celebrity fragrances as 'fine'!

There are many fragrances I love that seem to give me sinus headaches unfortunately. Luckily there have been a few Gucci and Calven Klein fragrances I can wear without this problem arising.

I'm a perfume addict (this extends to essential oils, room sprays, flowers and fabric softener) and I have enough to last me quite a few years but I know I'll have to throw some of them out. But I don't feel fully dressed without some perfume.

I recall one very hot afternoon, sitting in an un-airconditioned train which was going nowhere fast, and I became aware of a pleasant fragrance which kind of stands out in those circumstances. I was thinking how unusual it was for anyone to be smelling nice at the end of a hot summer day. Took me about 10 mins to realise that it was the cheap Avon fragrance I was wearing!

Amy
      June 28, 2012, 12:11PM
      • Buying perfume is like buying wine - there doesn't seem to be a correlation between price and quality - even for those with trained senses. Buying expensive brands in either category is a waste of money in my opinion, unless of course it's a gift for that someone special....

Boxcar
        June 28, 2012, 12:40PM
        • celeb perfumes ???? celeb Cats Wee more like !!!

echokim
          Tally Valley
          June 28, 2012, 1:23PM
          • I'm almost 30 and I still buy Christina Aguilera's original perfume. I love the smell of it, it's not sickly sweet or fruity like some of the others. Call me "unsophisticated" but I'd rather buy something I like than buy it because it has a "sophisticated" brand name..

Pink82
            June 28, 2012, 1:38PM
            • My best female friend (aged 43) wears a britney spears scent religiously.
              To me it is sickly sweet but strangely, other women come up to her and ask her what perfume it is, and then they too buy it.
              It's all about the smell, not the silly girl on the advert it seems.

Hmm, love the smell of coffee beans myself (I don't drink it though) and occasionally drop coffee beans in the plastic pockets around the interior of my car just to over power the fart smell.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind a woman that smelt of roast coffee beans instead of these newer sickly sweet scents.

Alex
              Finley
              June 28, 2012, 2:01PM
              • Good call on the coffee beans Alex.
                Wish I had some in the bedroom last night. Could hardy breathe after feeding my dogs some dodgy lamb bones :)
                eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

echokim
                Tally Valley
                June 28, 2012, 4:24PM
              • mega lols!

The Fowler
                June 28, 2012, 9:08PM
              • And coffee beans placed on a hot stove is very effective at masking the smell of putrification

The Undertaker
                Downtown
                June 29, 2012, 9:31AM
            • A mid-40s woman at work loved Britney Spears' perfumes, and used to drown herself in them. Blergh. Not just for the young, but the entire Kath and Kim demographic seem drawn to lolly perfumes.

Office Drone