The best beauty tip ever

Face lifter ... the right brow shape can freshen your whole face.

Face lifter ... the right brow shape can freshen your whole face.

Don't take them for granted. Keep them shaped, tinted and groomed. A good brow can do more for the face than any makeup trick or syringe of mother's little helper. Having a good brow arch can equal an eyebrow lift - it opens the eyes and brightens the face, making the eye area appear larger and more awake. Well-defined brows frame the face while enhancing the eyes. Pass on the lipstick if you will (it wears off anyway) but always do your brows.

But don't overdo things, says Hannah Terrett of Benefit Cosmetics Australia. ''Always start with a minimal application of brow products and build to increase colour and depth,'' she says. ''You can always for bigger, bolder, better but starting small will make getting it right easier and ensure that your brows make a statement for all the right reasons.'' Terrett says that when you are ''wearing'' a strong brow, enhance two key focal points to balance the overall look. For example, wear bold brows and lashes with a nude or understated lips or wear bold brows with a bare eye and statement lips.

Makeup artist and photographer Simona Janek says brows should be groomed but full. She suggests having brows professionally shaped - whether plucked, waxed or threaded - and then maintaining the shape at home. ''Use a brow pencil to fill in any gaps or to make the brow fuller. Draw in soft hair strokes - don't just colour in.''

Terrett says the best technique for faking a fuller brow is through tinting, when the fine soft hairs around the throughout the brow can be coloured to look thicker. Wax and powder brow kits can create a full and soft effect to complement tinting. In fact, brow specialist Amy-Jean Linnehan says almost all of her clients still use brow makeup after a tint. ''It just gives that extra something - most prefer it,'' Amy-Jean says. ''It's a combination of technique and product quality that will determine the result.'' Amy-Jean Brow Velvet is soft powder that's easy to apply with a brush.

Benefit makeup trend artist Maggie Ford Danielson, daughter and niece of Benefit's co-founders, prefers a brow pencil, such as Benefit Instant Brow, to add colour. Benefit Brows A-Go-Go is a brow-shaping kit containing powders and wax, eyeliner, brightening cream and highlighter, brow brushes, tweezers and a step-by-step guide. Benefit Speed Brow is a brush-on gel that dries to a natural looking finish to tame brows. Amy-Jean says: ''You don't skip brushing your hair every day so why ignore your brows? Use a lash and brow comb and brush with a light upwards and outwards motion - always upwards and outwards. Then finish off by securing flyaways with a brow lacquer.''

How much time and attention do you lavish on your brows? Do you use brow makeup? Do you have them professionally shaped and tinted or do you see to them yourself? Maybe you've overlooked them. Till now.

twitter Follow Life & Style on Twitter

Pinterest Follow Life & Style on Pinterest

Instagram Follow Life & Style on Instagram @life_style_news

• I'm blonde and am thinking of lightening my eyebrows just a bit. What you you recommend? I'm a little scared of trying it at home.

S
    June 21, 2012, 10:33AM
    • A lot of salons won't do this because no one wants to take the risk of applying bleach around their clients eyes.

So for a while, I was lightening my own eyebrows with standard blonde hair dye from the chemist. I started by applying Vaseline to the skin around the eyebrow (so as not to let the bleach touch my skin). I then applied the dye to my brows using a cue tip. After a few minutes, I removed it with a damp cloth - at this point you need to be very careful not to get any in your eyes. I would then repeat (including applying more Vaseline if necessary) until I was happy with the colour.

The reason I did it incrementally was because I didn't want to go too far and have weird coloured eyebrows - kind of hard to undo and very noticeable if you screw it up. By only leaving the dye on for a few minutes at a time, I was able to get more control and I could gradually change the colour.

A negative of this approach is that you have to buy a whole carton of dye and you'll only use a fraction of it. You have to throw out what you don't use, because it won't keep - still, it will be cheaper than having it done at a salon - and that's on the off chance that you'll find a salon who is prepared to do it.

simbo
      June 21, 2012, 2:33PM
    • Hi S, try visiting Michael at Shane Jones Salon in Double Bay. I have very blond eyebrows and have been visiting him for years, following him wherever he works! He does brilliant eyebrow shaping and tints. My eyebrows always look a million dollars - better than a facelift!

j
      sydney
      June 21, 2012, 4:03PM
  • I pluck my own into a standard 1950s arch and just tidy them up when they start to grow out, lightly fill them (they're fairly heavy) and don't own brow lacquer because - to my eyes, it's a waste of money.

Kitty
    June 21, 2012, 10:41AM
    • I get my eyebrows threaded every 2 weeks for $8. I find with threading my eyebrows stay tidy for longer.

I'm always in awe of those who always seem to have perfect tidy eyebrows ALL the time...don't they let them "grow out"? I've never been sure how often I should be getting my eyebrows done. I used to get them waxed before and I was told I should let them grow for 2 weeks before getting them done again.

rose_coloured
      June 21, 2012, 10:43AM
      • $8 for threading...where where where???
        I also have mine done every 2 weeks but pay a bit more.. I went into the Grace Hotel where there is a walk in eyebrow threading service, and the woman tried to tell me that it was $60 as I hadn't been there before!!! I explained that I needed a tidy as I already have them done regularly, but she insisted they were the "rules" I laughed at her and her 3 staff stood around twiddling their thumbs!

KJ
        June 21, 2012, 11:10AM
      • I go to a place in Liverpool, its on the corner of Northumberland St and Memorial Ave. Its probably not as pretty and professional as the Grace Hotel but gets the job done :)

rose_coloured
        June 21, 2012, 12:28PM
      • Yes! Yes! where do you get them done for $8?

oui oui
        June 21, 2012, 12:47PM
      • I get mine threaded as well but they usually last around 4-5 weeks with only the rare tweezer attack at a new hair.

I get them done at Herbal Hair & Beauty for $6. Freakishly cheap but they do a perfect job every time.

Tall Girl
        June 21, 2012, 1:45PM
      • Every two weeks?! That seems excessive. They generally take six to grow back. Once you get into a regular 6 week routine of waxing/threading (I hated threading myself, much prefer wax), they will grow back fairly uniformly, bar the odd stray hair that might show up early and need plucking.

I used to get my eyelashes tinted along with a brow wax every 6 weeks at the beauty therapist. Now I just do it at home, even cheaper and saves time as I don't have to run around making and meeting appointments. It is indeed a simple, cheap and effective beauty tip. My eyes always stand out as looking good, even if I'm not wearing any make up or otherwise looking less than my best.

Nicola