Charlize Theron's naked ambition

Daisy Dumas

Charlize Theron has no problems with nudity "if the role requires it."

Charlize Theron has no problems with nudity "if the role requires it."

She's clearly got a bit of a thing for stripping off.

But, with a body - and self-confidence - like Charlize Theron's, that's perhaps par for the course.

The actress, 36, has now confirmed what we have long suspected: that she has no qualms about being naked in front of a camera.

Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender in the steamy <i>W</i> magazine shoot.

Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender in the steamy W magazine shoot.

Speaking with W Magazine, the Prometheus star showed not a hint of a body image hang-up when she described her ease with filming sex scenes.

"It depends on who you’re doing the sex scene with. I don’t have issues being naked", she told the glossy.

"That sounds very slutty ... What I mean is, I’m not hung up on my body, and I’ve been lucky to work with people I’ve been really comfortable with."

Not that co-star Michael Fassbender, 35, made the situation less awkward. "And Michael's one of the two who did not make me feel very comfortable," she said.

The shoot displayed more than a hint of Theron's submissive side, with industrial-themed styling seeing Fassbender in intimate, bondage-like poses with the blonde actress.

A muscle-bound Fassbender holds the South African star's arms in series of sexually-charged, tight grips.

Photographed by Mario Sorrenti, the actress was kitted out in a selection of designer threads that left little to the imagination, including Versace boots, leather body suit and fishnet stockings, suggestive leather gloves and a chainmail dress.

Prometheus is not the first film in which the star has posed semi-naked in front of the camera. Recently released Snow White and the Huntsmen saw her maximise her 'back nudity' as queen Ravenna. Nor is it the first time the actress has spoken about her fondness for baring all.

The star has said that she is happy to go topless, "if the role requires it" and has undressed for sex scenes in Monster, Reindeer Games, The Burning Plain, Head in the Clouds, 2 Days in the Valley and The Devil's Advocate... to name but a few.

In a recent interview with MTV, Theron explained that not only are there different kinds of nudity, but she has techniques she employs rather than giving film makers carte blanche to full-frontal nudity.

"I am very good with side nudity," she told the music network. "I tend to find that’s probably my best kind of nudity."

Approaching the intimate issue of nakedness with tell-tale professional coldness, she said: "Back is a little too much back. I need an angle. I like angular nudity, I can do a small percentage of one [side] and the other."

The W shoot saw Theron and Fassbender mull over which are harder to act: death or sex scenes.

"I don't know", said Fassbender. "Sex scenes sound like more fun than they are.

"Death scenes are easier, really. Maybe because I've died so many times. I've had a lot of practice. In my movies, I'm often naked or dying."

• I have the same ambition. Maybe we could do something together.

Rusty Strodes
    Mooroolbark
    July 20, 2012, 12:00PM
    • Gee. when the chips are down for blonde actress-godesses and the work starts thinning out, take your clothes off and tell everyone about it. Make sure the riveting article has the mandatory "naked ambition" headline. Todays blonde actress story is tomorrows fish wrap.

Moo
      Hippy nude beach
      July 20, 2012, 12:06PM
      • Moo - you have obviously never heard or read much about Charlize Theron.....but then again that rarely stops the know-it-all blog commenters commenting.....

Charlize is definately no run of the mill ditzy blonde bimbo actress and has loads of intellect & usually takes challenging , unglamourous roles....

Cracklier
        July 20, 2012, 1:07PM
      • The problem with your analysis is that Theron has never been bigger than she is at the moment. Her work is definitely not 'thinning out'.

Adam
        Essendon
        July 20, 2012, 2:16PM
      • Gee, you must have a lot going for you if you equate being on the cover of a glossy mag to promote your appearance in one of the year's biggest movies as "failure".

DisDis
        July 20, 2012, 2:28PM
      • Moo,

I dont think Charlize is in any danger of having parts run out for her, its morelikely that she is hinting to the more artsy producers that she is reasdy to branch out for the right script and she has few boundaries. Probably because her last few movies have been the more standard hollywod starlet scripts.

This lady is very smart and she never statesanything without at least 2 meanings. One for the headline & the other for the real audience.

ltl
        July 20, 2012, 2:38PM
      • "... Theron has never been bigger than she is at the moment. Her work is definitely not 'thinning out' ..."

... and yet Jessica Alba remains decidedly clothed. There is no justice in this world.

Spex
        July 20, 2012, 4:44PM
    • My only problem with Charlize Theron and nudity is that there isn't enough.

Nathan
      July 20, 2012, 1:01PM
      • I'd like to be fish wrapped by Charlize.

Omniscient
        July 20, 2012, 1:44PM
        • Charlize is gorgeous but I would much prefer seeing more of Michael Fassbender naked - oh, hang on I did - in the movie, "Shame".
          I am developing quite a massive crush on Mr. Fassbender - he is both extremely talented and extremely charismatic.

Michael's Girl