Jennie Garth defends dramatic weight loss

Healthy living ... Jennie Garth attributes weight loss to a fresh food diet.

Healthy living ... Jennie Garth attributes weight loss to a fresh food diet. Photo: Getty Images

Actress Jennie Garth has assured fans she is healthy despite her dramatic weight loss since splitting from husband Peter Facinelli.

The couple announced in March they were divorcing after 11 years of marriage, and the former Beverly Hills, 90210 star admits the break-up has taken an emotional toll.

"I've been certainly going through a transitional time in my life," Garth has told Entertainment Tonight Canada. "And I think anybody who has been through something like what I'm going through, and have been going through for the past couple (of) years, can definitely relate that your body changes with your emotional state of mind sometimes. I think a lot of women can relate to that."

Garth said she has been indulging in fresh foods grown on her farm to teach her daughters - Luca, 15, Lola, nine, and Fiona, five - the importance of a healthy diet.

"It's been summer," she said. "There's lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, we have so many fruits at our ranch where we've been living, so eating healthy, especially with three girls ... is something that I try to set a good example for them. Every one of my girls is a different size and shape and I want them to be comfortable in their own skin and be healthy-minded as well as physically (healthy)."

WENN

• This is common. Some women just lose weight when severely stressed (I do). Same as Demi Moore when she and Ashton Kutcher split recently.

can't eat when stressed
    August 10, 2012, 1:46PM
    • Ditto, I don't eat when i stress and I lost 4kg in the past few weeks after I got evicted from my rental.

Dicky
      August 13, 2012, 10:46AM
  • It's great so see that Jennie's indulding in healthy eating, but the weight loss seems to have aged her (or it's a bad photo). She normally looks quite nice

Cath
    August 10, 2012, 2:04PM
    • Good on her. I'm not into the Hollywood Celeb world but a lot are and are swayed by what they do.
      In fact her name is unfamiliar with me, excuse my celeb ignorance.
      So if her weight loss sends a message to the obese, good for her and the message.
      The developed world is too fat and the more healthy eating messages sent the better we'll be for it.

Norm
      August 10, 2012, 3:24PM
      • So all obese people need to do is divorce each other, and the stress and grief will help them lose weight? Sweet! That is a good message. You and your perfect body are so right.

Alice
        August 11, 2012, 11:35AM
    • I agree, I lost 7 kilos in one month when my marriage ended. Then years later a long term relationship ended after 5 years, 5 kilos gone, hey presto! Stress causes weight loss...

Amy1972
      August 10, 2012, 4:26PM
      • When my brother split from his (now) ex-wife, they both dropped weight. One was from running (to relieve stress) and the other from not eating due to stress.

They are now both at a healthy weight.

Buff
        August 10, 2012, 4:32PM
        • So that's the reason. I thought it might be because she, and it looks like the women who have commented above had lost weight because all of a sudden they are back out there single.

Gman
          August 10, 2012, 4:38PM
          • OMg that's Jennie Garth? Time has not been kind to her. Anyway, why is a woman's weight even news? Male stars don't get the same scrutiny.

Fluff
            August 10, 2012, 5:17PM
            • Elvis ?
              But the bottom line is the obesity crises and the more good news stories about normal weight the better. Am sick of hearing about how they've lost it though, best not get fat in the first place.

Norm