Cameron Diaz's shattered marriage dream

Career woman ... success displaced marriage hopes, says Cameron Diaz.

Career woman ... success displaced marriage hopes, says Cameron Diaz.

Cameron Diaz says she refuses to put a timeline on her life after her plans for marriage and motherhood in her twenties were shattered when her career took off.

The actress took up modelling as a teenager before making the move into films, and landed her breakout role in The Mask at the age of 21.

Diaz has dominated headlines over the years for her high-profile romances with stars including Jared Leto and Justin Timberlake.

But the actress tells Redbook magazine she is in no rush to settle down despite her early dreams of family domesticity.

"I thought I was going to be married and have two children by the time I was 21. I think I felt I had to model my life after my mother's," she says.

"But then my career was starting to take off and there were still so many things I wanted to do. So that dream for me was shattered early on. After that I never put another timeline on anything in my life.

"I'm sure a lot of people would expect that I would have had a child by my age. But it's not what I've wanted out of my life thus far. There's a box people put themselves in, and when you (live) outside of it, that makes them uncomfortable - they have to look at themselves and question their own choices."

WENN

Follow Life & Style on Twitter

Follow Life & Style on Pinterest

Follow Life & Style on Instagram @life_style_news

• SPOT ON, CAMERON! I get the same thing from friends asking when I'm going to get married and have children. When I tell them I have no plans to get married or have any children, they shriek in horror at the mere thought. Why do so many people want others to be married and have kids just like them. Not everyone wants to spend the rest of their life with one person and have kids. Many prefer to be single and do whatever they want and not be accountable or responsible for anyone but themselves. We're not all the same!

George
    May 09, 2012, 11:58AM
    • I agree.

Tip
      May 09, 2012, 12:14PM
    • SPOT ON, GEORGE, too!

ms
      newcastle
      May 09, 2012, 12:17PM
    • So true. Live the life YOU want to live.

free
      May 09, 2012, 12:36PM
    • Somtimes I think it's because it makes them feel better about their lives if everyone is in the same boat, because people with children will never admit that it's not as great as they say it is.

D_Melbourne
      May 09, 2012, 12:52PM
    • So true - I am sick of the pity my married friends with kids give me because I am not married and do not want kids. I have to bite my tongue so to save myself from admitting that I think their existence with kids and a partner is an awful thought for me as well as this would be rude - however, does not seem to be rude when its the other way round.

If I dont meet the right person, then having kids with the wrong person would be horrible - the amount of team work, energy and reliance you need from the other person in order to properly raise children would not be in any way rewarding for me if life with my partner was a struggle.

Mynx
      May 09, 2012, 1:15PM
    • I'm always tempted to ask them when they're going to stop having babies, or if they're marriage is really going well, or some other direct and intrusive question that they would think is rude, is not necessarily any of their business, and has no impact on their lives.

Sherri
      May 09, 2012, 1:49PM
    • So George, when are you going to get married and have children?

JM
      May 09, 2012, 1:52PM
    • @ Sherri, I often think the same. It seems to be perfectly fine for partnered/married friends to ask prying questions about my love life. But I wonder how it would go down if I asked specifics about their sex lives; "So X, how often are you and Y sleeping together, anyway?"; "Did you guys do it last night?"

Same!
      Melbs
      May 09, 2012, 3:15PM
    • Single and in my 30s and happy, but I have many married friends.

And yes Im getting sick of the 'have you found a nice girl' sort-of-polite-but-secretly-self-gratifying comments.

So I ask them how their relationship is going. Maybe ask when was the last exciting thing you did with your partner.

Conversation usually ends quite quickly. If they get offended its a case of "hey I was just showing interest in your love life, just like you're doing with me."

Plife30