Grant Hackett confirms separation from wife

Marriage breakdown ... Grant Hackett and Candice Alley in 2010.

Marriage breakdown ... Grant Hackett and Candice Alley in 2010.

Olympic gold medallist Grant Hackett and his wife Candice Alley have separated.

"I can confirm media speculation this morning that Candice and I have separated," Hackett said in a statement to News Limited online.

"I want to be dignified in my approach to everything and ensure the children's needs are paramount and put first.

"I wish Candice every success. It is my hope that everybody can respect the process and be kind to all parties involved as it is a very difficult time."

The couple wed in 2007 and have two children together, twins Jagger and Charlize.

Hackett retired in 2008. That same year he signed a four-year deal with the Nine Network to be part of their sports coverage.

Singer-songwriter Alley has released two albums - Colorblind in 2003 and Candice Alley in 2009.

AAP

• Jagger Hackett - Did it ever occur to them that this kid will grow up and wish they had a more normal name? Seriously what are these people thinking?

JL
    May 04, 2012, 11:49AM
    • Nothing wrong with a unique name. But when the reason (I assume Mick Jagger) in this case is so lame it's less defensible.

vin
      May 04, 2012, 12:15PM
  • The childrens' names would seem to indicate that even an Olympic gold medallist can be a bogan...

Jimmy
    NSW
    May 04, 2012, 12:04PM
    • To be fair, she might have come up with the names...

Captain Hindsight
      May 04, 2012, 1:04PM
  • Such a pity ... Grant is truly a gentlemen among sportsmen, so I wonder what he did that was so unforgivable that the wife gave him up after only 5 years ? Of course I assume that Grant was at fault ...

cparry
    melbourne
    May 04, 2012, 12:56PM
    • Didn't they get into an "altercation" after derby day??

nomie888
      May 04, 2012, 1:31PM
    • Oh give it up.
      Its all her fault cause sher kept on insisting watching The Block, The Voice, Biggest loser, Master Chef, Celebrity apprentice and big brother is about to start so he had to run away.... Stort doesn't say she walked out, it says they separated...

Bean
      Beanville
      May 04, 2012, 2:26PM
    • We all save our worst behaviour for our partners - gentleman and ladies alike. Marriage is not a smooth road.

query??
      May 04, 2012, 3:48PM
  • Jagger is not that bad, he'll love it beyond 16 y.o.

vin is obviously a 12y.o. , Jagger is a world icon! lame i think not.

imagine if you were called Jaxson... now that is bogan.

BoredAtWork
    May 04, 2012, 1:06PM
    • Haha....I'm actually 33 and like you is bored at work.

I don't think Jagger is lame at all I just felt naming your kid after a rockstar (icon or not) is lame.

Vin