Hugh Jackman: 'I'm devastated'

Shelly Horton

Hugh Jackman, with photographer Russell James, is helping launch his new book. "Nomad Two Worlds". Photo: Tamara Dean

It's a bit hard to chuck a sickie if you're Wolverine. So Hugh Jackman has discovered after realising his film shooting schedule means he will miss the party for his passion project, the launch of Russell James's book Nomad Two Worlds, tomorrow night at the Darling Hotel in Sydney.

"I'm devastated," Jackman sighed. "Nomads is one project I really believe in and we've been talking about the book launch for 12 months. But you know, we've all got a boss. They knew what it meant to me but the train's rolling, unfortunately."

The book features James's photos and collaborations with indigenous Australian, Native American and Haitian artists. A percentage of the proceeds of the book will go to art projects in indigenous communities.

"Nomads is about reconciliation and bringing cultures together in a social business sense," Jackman told The Sun-Herald's Shelly Horton. "This is the apology in action."

James has just come from Haiti with Richard Branson, Bill Clinton and others to celebrate the opening of the new Industrial Park. Nomad Two Worlds has worked actively in Haiti since 2012. "We try to celebrate the art of the indigenous artists and not have it be a celebrity-driven brand, but while everyone has been enormously respectful of that, we have had some amazing celebrities help out," he said.

For Jackman it's a chance to use his celebrity for good. "I do try not to use my celebrity for evil," he joked, "I mean it's a daily struggle because the pull of evil is so strong but if I can ever use it for good, I do."

• I vote Hugh Jackman to become the first President of the new Australian Republic.

Mikka
    October 31, 2012, 11:43AM
    • I second the vote!

gogo
      October 31, 2012, 12:40PM
  • Sounds like BS!
    Last time I checked a plane ride was 2 days total from LA to AUS to LA.
    If it meant enough or he was being paid to dance around like a Russian bear for an ice T commercial I'm sure he would find a way.

Mark C
    October 31, 2012, 2:12PM
    • Mark C,

You obviously haven't flown to or from the states lately. Currently, you LOSE a day from LA to Sydney - leave on a Thursday, get into Sydney on a Sunday. So, if you attended an event on the same day as you arrived, you are definitely looking at a 4-5 days turnaround.

Anasatasia
      October 31, 2012, 3:06PM
    • Woops - meant to say leave on a Thursday get into Sydney on a Saturday!

Anasatasia
      October 31, 2012, 3:18PM
    • @ Anasatasia... and when you fly from Sydney back to LA, you arrive in LA time wise before you even left Sydney... so leave on a Thursday late night LA time, arrive in Sydney early Sat morning, have the day in Sydney and then leave for LA mid morning Sunday arriving back in LA Sunday morning! No mention of jet lag but Mark C is 100% correct in terms of travel time!

Jen
      Brisbane
      October 31, 2012, 4:36PM
    • Jackman is in Sydney filming Wolverine.

Jace
      October 31, 2012, 5:34PM
    • Actually, the current all-night film shoots in Sydney where the movie is currently being made might explain it...

"Ever Feel Like You've Been Cheated?"
      Australia
      October 31, 2012, 7:45PM
    • He's here in Sydney filming 'The Wolverine,' mate. From what I know, they're doing night shoots. He's probably got to be on set.

Nick
      October 31, 2012, 9:20PM
    • After a raft of email explaining that Hugh is actually in Melbourne, I would like to respond.

The fact he is actually in Sydney and the launch is in Sydney means he should be able to make it even more so.

If this book is so important to him and he is as bigger star as the director paints him as then he should have enough sway to get a couple of free hours off.
      He could actually rock up as Wolverine!

Still sound like BS to me!

P.S - What is all that ' I use celebrity for good not evil' nonsense -
      Does he actually think he is actually a superhero?

Mark C