Miranda Kerr to give free yoga class

"Promise for the environment" ...  Miranda Kerr.

"Promise for the environment" ... Miranda Kerr.

Miranda Kerr has pledged to conduct a free yoga class for 500 fans as part of a new Earth Hour campaign.

Kerr has been announced as an Earth Hour global ambassador for the second consecutive year to use her voice to inspire people to participate in the I Will If You Will campaign.

The campaign aims to encourage people to go beyond the traditional hour, where people are asked to switch off their lights, and take more positive action for the environment by setting a personal challenge.

The first 500 people to upload their own I Will If You Will challenge, on www.youtube.com/earthhour, will be awarded with a free yoga class in Sydney conducted by Kerr.

"I hope my first challenge inspires my friends, family and fans to make their own promise for the environment," Kerr says.

The globe-trotting model from Gunnedah, NSW, has also committed to reducing her carbon footprint by offsetting all of her travel.

"If we all adopt simple practices like recycling, switching to energy-efficient lighting or paperless banking then we can make a difference together," Kerr says.

The first-ever Earth Hour started in Sydney in 2006 and has now grown to a 5251-city-strong global movement, last year reaching 1.8 billion people in 135 countries across all seven continents.

This year's Earth Hour takes place between 8.30pm and 9.30pm on Saturday, March 31.

AAP

• Where do I sign up?

Cam
    Melbs
    March 13, 2012, 1:41PM
    • Another article on Miranda Kerr.....pass me the bucket...my stomach contents are starting to feel the need to be projected upwards as we again hear about St Miranda's work...is this some marketing strategy/PR game that we are the cynical puppets of?

MS
      Newcastle
      March 13, 2012, 2:31PM
      • Jealous much?

bigfoot
        sydney
        March 13, 2012, 3:15PM
      • I'm with you MS, honestly - what is the appeal with this woman? She is just not that interesting!!!!

Lulu
        March 13, 2012, 3:29PM
      • @bigfoot, nah hardly. As I guy, I pretty much feel the same way MS does. We don't hear enough off Jen Hawkins. There's just something very fake and conceited about her (Kerr), can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps it's those candid photos where she's with other females - the same photos that reveal her look of absolute indignation - as though they're not worthy of crawling anywhere near her feet. Yuck.

0peth
        March 13, 2012, 3:41PM
    • Considering the amount of articles (published by SMH) I am not sure if a mass yoga class taught by someone who is not a trained teacher is the best thing for health. Yoga that is not properly supervised or taught can result in a lot of injuries and joint problems. Nothing better than a PR stunt than one that is flooded with irony.

Mynx
      March 13, 2012, 2:51PM
      • I agree, not a trained teach and not properly supervised is just an accident (and law-suit) waiting to happen.

How are they proposing to hold a class for that many people? I can't imagine a conference centre full of 500 people trying to see someone teaching yoga is going to be beneficial or enlightening.

I quite like Miranda Kerr on the whole but this seems like a big mistake.

Anoony
        March 13, 2012, 3:28PM
    • one of the good things about being in New Zealand is that I dont need to see Miranda Kerr's smug mug all over the place here. Kiwis have never heard of her .

Geek
      March 13, 2012, 2:57PM
      • Lucky Kiwiland. Her smug pursed lips say everything about her really. Wish there was an anti-filter for news sites... X to Miranda Kerr stories.

blanche
        mediaville
        March 14, 2012, 7:20AM
    • I would just like her to go away

BekW