Peaches Geldof's childbirth ordeal

New parents ... Peaches Geldof and Thomas Cohen.

New parents ... Peaches Geldof and Thomas Cohen.

New mother Peaches Geldof has revealed how she suffered a terrifying ordeal following the birth of her son when he was rushed into intensive care.

The newborn, named Astala, was hurried away just moments after he was delivered by Caesarean section because of breathing difficulties.

"It was the most terrifying experience, to have our tiny baby whisked away like that," Geldof reveals in an interview with Hello! magazine.

"I was yearning for that skin-to-skin contact I'd waited so long for and to not be able to hold him and nurse him and comfort him was so upsetting."

The drama occurred after her fiance, musician Thomas Cohen, cut the umbilical cord of the boy, whose full name is Astala Dylan Willow Geldof-Cohen. The infant has since made a full recovery following the birth last month.

"He had a lack of something called surfactant, which made it a struggle for him to breathe. He was in intensive care for a few days," Geldof says.

"To be able to finally hold him and take in all his little features was wonderful."

Her father Bob Geldof told last week of how he was still struggling to come to terms with the boy's unusual name, which is an old Jewish name - the male equivalent of Esther.

But Geldof says her dad, a first time grandfather, is actually "besotted" with the new addition to the family.

"He was incredibly gentle with Astala; he took him aside and was so quiet, which isn't something my dad's renowned for.

"He's besotted with Astala because he's his first grandchild but especially, I think, because he's the first boy in the family."

And she said her dad now has a particular photo of the baby as a screensaver on his phone, which was taken by Cohen, who is in up and coming band S.C.U.M.

"Astala's sticking two fingers up and has this really rebellious look on his face. Dad was like, 'That's my boy!' when he saw it."

PA

Follow Life & Style on Twitter

Follow Life & Style on Pinterest

Follow Life & Style on Instagram @life_style_news

• "Her father Bob Geldof told last week of how he was still struggling to come to terms with the boy's unusual name"

errr......from the parent of Peaches, Fifi and Trixabel??? right-o.

jenD
    Newtown
    May 14, 2012, 1:15PM
    • Tramatic labour? Traumatic delivery? I think you mean traumatic post c-section complications?
      C-sections are not without risk people - maybe the courier mail could name the article more appropriately.

Sigh.

Breesa
      Brisbane
      May 14, 2012, 3:32PM
      • How do you know she didn't go into labour, and that the C-Section wasn't an emergency one?

Delivery is delivery, VBirth or C-sec.

Alaksuleiel
        Hong Kong
        May 14, 2012, 4:14PM
    • Maybe if you had given birth in the manner in which babies are designed to be this wouldn't have happened. there is a reason babies are are squashed through the birth canal. it is for optimal lung preparation for breathing on the outside. maybe a bit of pushing and a bit of pain might of saved you from this "childbirth ordeal". birth? yeah right.

midwife
      May 14, 2012, 4:15PM
      • "might have" ...

RED
        Near the beach
        May 14, 2012, 4:56PM
      • "Maybe if you had given birth in the manner in which babies are designed to be this wouldn't have happened"

How does vaginal birth increase surfactant in the neonate's lungs?

Donna Joy
        May 14, 2012, 5:04PM
      • Geez... I really hope you're not my midwife in a few months time. How judgemental! I thought surfactant (what Baby Astala was lacking) was produced in the babies lungs throughout the pregnancy, not just in the birth canal (?), but then again, I'm no midwife. Easy to surmise they're all too posh to push, but do you really know the circumstances here? Being a midwife, I would have thought you especially would appreciate that new mums (particulalrly those who've endured a traumatic experience) deserve support, not criticism.

Fizzpop
        May 14, 2012, 5:13PM
      • Glad you weren't my midwife. Now I feel guilty for the emergency C-section I had 9 years ago.

AJ
        Melb
        May 14, 2012, 6:03PM
      • @midwife, as you surely know, "a bit" of pushing and "a bit" of pain is not the reality of childbirth is it. You have become numb to the human reality of your occupation. Nothing another pregnancy wouldnt fix I'm sure.

Rachael
        May 14, 2012, 6:12PM
      • *Maybe* if birth weren't described as
        'a bit of pushing and a bit of pain' women would be more prepared for the reality of child birth - which they absolutely can do (in the vast majority of cases).
        And there are times that a c-sec is needed and this might have been one of those times and I'm not sure how your comment is meant to help any woman make good decision for her and her baby?

Innocent Bystander