Sheryl Crow diagnosed with brain tumour

Memory loss ... US singer Sheryl Crow has revealed she has a brain tumour.

Memory loss ... US singer Sheryl Crow has revealed she has a brain tumour. Photo: Reuters

Sheryl Crow has revealed that she has a benign brain tumour, but her representative says it's nothing to be alarmed about.

The 50-year-old told an audience about her condition at a recent concert, but her representative, Christine Wolff, said it's very common.

I worried about my memory so much that I went and got an MRI. And I found out I have a brain tumor

The tumour is a meningioma, and it's typically benign and develops from the protective linings of the brain and spinal cord.

Crow, whose hits include All I Wanna Do and Soak Up the Sun, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal the tumor was discovered when she went to a hospital to be tested because she was experiencing memory loss.

"I haven't really talked about it," she said. "In November, I found out I have a brain tumor. But it's benign, so I don't have to worry about it. But it gives me a fit."

Crow said she had a history of memory loss dating back to the 1990s when she forgot the lyrics to her hit A Change Would Do You Good while singing in a show in Las Vegas.

"I worried about my memory so much that I went and got an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). And I found out I have a brain tumor," she told the paper.

"And I was like, 'See? I knew there was something wrong'."

The singer made headlines in May when she forgot words to Soak Up the Sun at a show in Florida. Onstage at the time, she joked, "I'm 50. What can I say!"

Crow, who has two children, was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in 2006, which was successfully treated that year.

Wolff said that Crow was doing great and is healthy and happy.

AP, REUTERS

Follow Life & Style on Twitter

Follow Life & Style on Pinterest

Follow Life & Style on Instagram @life_style_news

• Every day you hear of people being diagnosed with cancer, whether famous, not-so-famous or just ordinary people like you or me. In some instances, cancer is not a death sentence anymore, but it still hurts like hell when you are faced with it. I've been there and I've survived - anyone who is diagnosed or undergoing treatment you have my attention, you have my respect and my positive wishes for making the most of your life.

Sheryl Crow has not only seen cancer herself, she also saw how one man battled it - Lance Armstrong and he is an inspiration to many people.

Life
    How precious it is
    June 06, 2012, 12:52PM
    • "Cancer - not a death sentence" im afraid the statistics tell a different story, cancers are rarely cured merely postponed rates of "cure" haven't changed much in decades.

edgeman.au
      SYD
      June 06, 2012, 2:38PM
    • Of course it isn't a death sentence! I agree.
      The reason cancer death statistics are so high is also because most people do not get cancer until they are old as part of their body not being able to handle free radicals. Many of these people will die anyway from old age but they will still be part of cancer statistics which show that they survive longer than 5 years - the 5 year survival rate is what they generally use to determine whether cancer has been cured.

Ivy
      Australia
      June 06, 2012, 5:01PM
    • edgeman.au, that's not true at all. Many cancers are quite treatable, especially if caught early.

Janet
      June 06, 2012, 5:09PM
  • Life is a death sentence! Isnt it? We are all going to at some stage, it is just that these people who contract various things are given a heads up that mortality is rife in society.
    Good luck to sheryl and all those who are touched by this and other things that make us take stock of our lives.

BS
    June 06, 2012, 2:58PM
    • Let's keep in mind people that a tumour is NOT NECESSARILY cancer. If it is malignant, it is cancer. If it is benign, it is not cancer, but an abnormal growth or collection of tissue (however still possibly something to be concerned about).

Mis-reporting like this is harmful to tumour suffers, who when they find out they have a tumour, think they have cancer but may not.

Reggie Belcher
      The Burbs
      June 06, 2012, 3:27PM
      • @ Reggie
        I'm sure your comments are of great comfort to the families of people who have died from benign brain tumours.

Dr Geoff
        June 06, 2012, 9:27PM
    • How is this mis-reporting? They called it a brain tumour, and went on to explain that it was benign. As you say yourself a tumour is not necessarily cancerous. The only mention of cancer was the breast cancer she had had, which was malignant.

curious
      June 06, 2012, 4:34PM
      • "Wolff said that Crow was doing great and is healthy and happy"

How about some sub-editing to remove the Americanisms? Better that she be doing well than "doing great".

Tim
        UK
        June 06, 2012, 5:20PM
        • The terminology used in the article is correct. The lesion is a tumour (abnormal proliferation of cells) but not cancerous(uncontrolled proliferation with the potential to metastasize). Although a 'benign tumour' grows very slowly, in the brain, it has the potential to compress vital structures and cause seizures. Meningiomas come in different grades - Sheryl is fortunate to have a low grade one.

The Oracle