Social slip-up

Why Isla Fisher is embarrassed to be seen in public with funnyman husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Embarrassing ... Sacha Baron Cohen with wife, Isla Fisher.

Embarrassing ... Sacha Baron Cohen with wife, Isla Fisher. Photo: AP

Australian actress Isla Fisher would rather her husband stayed at home as to not embarrass her in public.

Sacha Baron Cohen says his wife is so tired of his slip-ups at social functions that she'd prefer he stays home: "She now tries to avoid going out of the house with me."

In fact Cohen says he would prefer to turn up to celebrity events as one of his many comic characters - because he's an embarrassment when he arrives as himself.

The funnyman admits he's hopeless at parties and premieres when he doesn't have a beard or a moustache to hide behind - because he doesn't recognise his Hollywood peers.

"I don't really watch a lot of television or film, so I don't really recognise some of the faces.

"I went to one dinner recently with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening and a few other people around quite a small dinner table and... I turned to Annette Bening and said, 'You should have won an Oscar for The Kids Are All Right...' and she stared at me and she said, 'You don't know who I am, do you?' It was Diane Keaton," he says.

"I was embarrassed. I didn't know what to say... so I just asked... 'What was it like to make love to Woody Allen?' She did get up and leave."

WENN

• Racially based, denigration of others, is not funny. He is an overrated put-down artist.

Jonno
    May 22, 2012, 9:40AM
    • Jonno - I think you take his humour too literally. He uses stereotypes as a funny vehicle to point out others' failings.

Such as in Borat, the point isn't that Central Asian people are backwards, but that his character exposed how racist, naive, shallow and possibly stupid Americans/westerners are...

Well, that was my take, anyway.

Abe Froman
      May 22, 2012, 10:38AM
    • I agree he went downhill with Bruno and i haven't seen his new one

but go back and watch his first stuff in da ali g show the interviews he did for that as Ali g and Borat and it's comedy gold and requires a small stroke of genius, without as you say putting people down

Greg
      May 22, 2012, 10:47AM
    • There's no need to patronise me. I do have an understanding of what constitutes humour. I don't see him mocking his own ethnicity, religion, nationality or sexual orientation - only others. I would like to see him mock a white, jewish, heterosexual Englishman stereotype for a change but I doubt it would happen. Now that would be really funny.

jonno
      May 22, 2012, 1:46PM
    • Take it easy Jonno, you were not being patronised. Go and watch Borat and see the hit the Jew scene early in the film. He does take the piss out of himself and his religion

eyeroll
      May 22, 2012, 2:36PM
    • @Jonno... Sacha Baron Cohen is Jewish... If you read about Borat you will find out that the bits that are said in another language are in fact in Hebrew and he's addressing it to his fellow Jews...

Lexie
      May 22, 2012, 2:44PM
    • Jonno, you're kidding, right? If you claim he doesn't rip on his own kind (white, Jewish, heterosexual etc) then I doubt you've seen much of his stuff. It happens routinely.

The main theme off all the groups he rips on is that he finds the up tight ones who truly embody the stereotypes. I'd guess you're more upset at him ripping on uptight folk.

Racing
      May 22, 2012, 3:21PM
    • @Greg - I'd recommend The Dictator, myself and partner thought it was a little better than Borat.

@jonno - I do think he ridicules everyone, not just certain groups. For example in the latest film as well as radical dictators, he takes aim at left-wing environmentalists, and a big swipe at American democracy towards the end. He makes a lot of anti-Jewish comments (though more satirically) in this movie.

Erik
      May 22, 2012, 3:24PM
    • @ Jonno you're kidding right? It sounds like you might be one of the uptight stereotypes he makes fun of. Jews are notorious for their self dreprecating humour and Cohen is no different. I don't think he is targeting anyone at all he orcehstrates situations that allow people to embarass themselves and exhibit their own predjudices.

Dino
      May 22, 2012, 5:31PM
    • Arabs are "fair game" to Cohen. " Arab - bashing" has always been fairly acceptable in the UK and the US and dare I say, Australia - hence his popularity in the West. By the way I'm not an "uptight" Arab.

Jonno