Two weddings for Warne and Hurley

'Strange' couple Shane Warne and Elizabeth Hurley are set to tie the knot in two countries.

'Big blond' and 'Luna' ... Shane Warne with fiancee Liz Hurley have unusual nicknames for eachother. Photo: Getty Images

Former Australian cricketer Shane Warne and his fiancee Liz Hurley have revealed they are planning wedding celebrations in Australia and Britain when they tie the knot next year.

The couple, who acknowledge they are an unlikely match, also reveal their pet names for each other in their first joint interview.

They told Hello! magazine that Warne is known as "Big Blond", while model and businesswoman Hurley has acquired the nickname "Luna" - among other things.

"Elizabeth calls me a lot more than just the Big Blond - she has dozens of names for me, all of them too embarrassing to share," Shane told Hello!.

"I have a handful for her, too, but I usually call her Luna as there was a terrible paparazzi picture of her once looming in to kiss me, which reminded me of the massive mouth at the entrance of Luna Park, the Australian theme park."

The pair - who posed for the magazine in Sri Lanka in matching white outfits, echoing 42-year-old Warne's cricket gear - said the dual celebrations are to allow their family and friends a chance to attend.

"We are very mindful of the fact that our loved ones live at opposite ends of the world," said Warne, whose three children Brooke, 14, Jackson, 12, and Summer, 10, live with his ex-wife, Simone in Melbourne.

Mum-of-one Hurley, 46, said of her partner: "I am extremely happy when I'm with Shane. We are very similar in many ways.

"Despite differences in our backgrounds and careers, we both come from very secure, loving homes and to me that says a lot."

Hurley - who was previously married to businessman Arun Nayar - announced her engagement to Warne in October of last year.

She said her 10-year-old son Damian has been delighted to have "three new playmates on tap" when Warne - who is now based at Hurley's Gloucestershire farm - has his children around.

"Damian adores them all and rotates round sleeping in all of their bedrooms when we're in Australia," she said.

Hurley admitted it was a big change to suddenly have so many children in her life, but adder: "I love it when we're all together. I just try to be the best stepmum that I can."

Warne said of their relationship: "I think we just 'get' each other and it feels like we have known one another forever. I understand why Elizabeth and I getting together initially seemed strange to some people and why it created a lot of interest. We are from different worlds, but funnily enough they are very much the same, too."

PA

• .............. this is moving stuff!

costa parki mik
    melbourne
    April 16, 2012, 10:25AM
    • another marrige that wont last, they never do i call them 2 year wonders, but if it does well good luck .

dazza
      April 16, 2012, 10:32AM
      • I know what you mean. I hope he doesn't cheat on this one.

Talya2312
        Melbouen
        April 16, 2012, 8:12PM
    • Marriage plus commitment ceremony - OK. Two marriage ceremonies - illegal. Spin announcements to grab publicity - pathetic.

petermac
      Tascott
      April 16, 2012, 10:49AM
      • Oh come on you killjoys!! They're OK and I, for one, wish them all the best. They're going to need it in the horrible world of celebrity and papparazzi - or however you spell it.

wenmar
        April 16, 2012, 11:07AM
        • onya warnie.....mate this is better than any leggie you bowled,hat trick or text msg......great to see a bloke with the middle name keith snag a saucy pom.........advanced hair ....yeah yeah!!!!!!

fatcat73
          April 16, 2012, 11:25AM
          • .... finally getting the leg over .... the right way!

costa parki mik
            melbourne
            April 17, 2012, 9:53AM
        • BOTH of these aren't marriage material...fodder for gossip mags and little else.

Spike
          April 16, 2012, 11:53AM
          • Is this really a news item? Me (English) and my wife (Australian) had both a wedding (England) and a blessing ceremony (Australia) so that both of our families could be involved. It's a fairly common thing to do when people from different countries get married.

HardcorePrawn
            April 16, 2012, 12:59PM
            • For middle-aged divorcees with children, who jumped into the romance with their pants on fire, why the long engagement? They must be uncertain.

Pat