The boss of cakes

Jersey boy ... Cake Boss founder Buddy Valastro.

Jersey boy ... Cake Boss founder Buddy Valastro.

Cake Boss star Buddy Valastro says he's long wanted to give fans of his popular reality cable TV show an opportunity to taste the cakes viewers watch him bake and decorate.

So Valastro has given his cake recipes to the family-run company that supplies his bakery in New Jersey with goods like sugar and flour to help create a cake line that could be mass produced.

That line, based on recipes and designs of cakes he's made before, will start with the Badda Bloom - a two-layer cake, one chocolate and one vanilla, with a layer of fudge and covered in bright green, butter cream frosting with pink and purple flowers. The same two-layer cake will also be available in a My Party Cake design of blue, purple and green balloons and confetti over a layer of bright yellow frosting.

The Badda Bloom ... Cake Boss goes mass-market.

The Badda Bloom ... Cake Boss goes mass-market.

"What makes me unique is my designs," Valastro says. "We came up with the designs, using my exact ingredients and baking instructions, down to how many revolutions for mixing the batter ... I'm proud of this."

"I just love what I do," said Valastro, a fourth-generation baker. "I love making cakes, and I'm good at it."

Valastro's reality TV show follows him and his Carlo's Bakery staff as they turn out custom wedding cakes, specialty cakes and pastries. The show, in its fifth season, is often peppered with drama from Valastro's big Italian family and customers who come to him with sometimes outrageous requests.

My party cake ... Cake Boss cake for all ocassions.

My party cake ... Cake Boss cake for all ocassions.

The Cake Boss said he was a little apprehensive about mass producing his cakes, which he describes as "delicious, old-fashioned, old-world cakes" using high-quality ingredients.

"I was a little like, 'This is my baby. This is my name,'" he said.

But after months of planning, going over designs and taste-testing, "when they brought the last final prototypes, you couldn't tell the difference between their cakes and mine. For me, that's the biggest thing."

In Australia, Cake Boss can be seen on Pay TV channel Lifestyle Food.

AP

twitter Follow Life & Style on Twitter

Pinterest Follow Life & Style on Pinterest

Instagram Follow Life & Style on Instagram @life_style_news

• Hmm, the article forgot to mention his colour blindness or the shares he owns in the pigment factory.
    Certainly enough colour to turn any self respecting cake aficionado into a hyperactive imbecile.

Really
    June 13, 2012, 3:16PM
    • They look like play-doh...

Ailie
      June 13, 2012, 3:55PM
      • @Really

Having watched Buddy's show and met him personally, I don't think you could label him anything less than a 'cake aficionado' himself. Passionate, dedicated and creative. Heaven forbid someone thinks outside the box.

Rachael
        June 13, 2012, 3:59PM
        • @Really, hear hear... the cake might be very tasty but I wouldn't even attempt to taste it, simply because of the design and colour of his cakes. You're not 4 years old anymore, Mr Cake Boss.

Anonymous
          June 13, 2012, 4:05PM
          • I do love watching me some Cake Boss. You would not expect a guy who looks and talks like an old-school mafia gangster to be so sublimely creative with sugary treats. I love that juxtaposition.

I would definitely try his cakes!

Donna Joy
            June 13, 2012, 4:20PM
            • I read years ago that healthy eating rule number one is not to eat any food with numbers as ingredients, like thickener 415. I wonder how many numbers are used in these brightly coloured cakes. Seriously, they don't even look like real cakes to me and I'm not game enough to try them.

I've only seen many unrealistically colourful food (like electric yellow cheese) in the USA, but not in other parts of the world. That tells you something.

Seriously
              Victoria
              June 13, 2012, 5:12PM
              • Might account for their behaviour and obesity epidemic.
                I'm not bad at mental arithmetic but I reckon you'd need a calculator to add up the numbers of the colours & artificial flavours.
                Perhaps he'd should try his hand at textile design or modular furniture.
                I couldn't attempt to eat that.

seriously2
                June 13, 2012, 6:00PM
              • Seriously2, I think you'll find that Australia has actually overtaken the US in terms of the rate of people who are obese.

Australia also seems to be the home of the eat like a pauper in public and gorge yourself at home trend. I can't believe the amount of grossly overweight people I've seen that have lunch in containers smaller than the width of a slice of bread and later harp on and on about the dangers of food colourings and chocolate. Give me a break! You're not kidding anyone but yourself.

Cimbom
                Real World
                June 13, 2012, 9:49PM
              • @Cimbom
                You got your fact wrong to say Australia has taken over USA in obesity rate. In fact, we are not even close to the US. Read here: http://www.oecd.org/document/57/0,3746,en_2649_33929_46038969_1_1_1_1,00&&en-USS_01DBC.html

Have you actually seen how many people in the US waddle around because they are so obese they can't even stand up straight? And how do you know that people became overweight because they secretly eat huge amount of food at home?

I think the point here is that it's not necessary to make food look so unnatural by adding all these colours to it. It shows an unhealthy attitude to food.

Seriously
                Victoria
                June 14, 2012, 9:57AM
              • @Cinbom - since everyone feels it's OK to judge what obese people put in their mouths, I'm not surprised some feel the need to eat conspicuously lightly in front of others. Not that is necessarily means they are "gorging themselves at home".

GiveMeABreak