Designer Cavalli hits his Target

Paula Joye

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Italian fashion icon

Roberto Cavalli discusses famous friends, fabulous women and… his dislike of hats.

PT0M0S 620 349

When it comes to fashion it doesn't get much more glamorous than Roberto Cavalli. At 71, the veteran Italian designer continues to dominate both the runway and red carpet with a celebrity client roster that includes Miranda Kerr, Nicole Kidman and Kylie Minogue.

“I've worked with everyone – there is no star who I've not dressed at one time or another," Cavalli said. "I chose Miranda for my [runway] shows before she was a big star and now we are very close friends. Kylie is so, so pretty and I've had many good dinners with Nicole.”

He is in Australia to launch a fashion range and attend Derby Day at the races on Saturday.

Roberto Cavalli in Sydney to launch his latest designs for a Target collection.

Roberto Cavalli in Sydney to launch his latest designs for a Target collection. Photo: Edwina Pickles

Sporting his trademark black suit, sunglasses and a European perma-tan, Cavalli has a love for life belies his age.

“My inspiration is the woman. I like to spend my time with the young people. From young people I learn. I design for them – they help keep me in the moment.”

Famous for his use of wild prints and colour, Cavalli designs five ready-to-wear lines – Roberto Cavalli Woman, Roberto Cavalli Man, Just Cavalli, Class Roberto Cavalli and Roberto Cavalli Angels & Devils — making him one of the most successful designers in the world. Add to that a suite of fragrances and multiple diffusion deals, and the Florentine shows no signs of slowing down.

Cavalli with models showing off  his Target designs.

Cavalli with models showing off his Target designs. Photo: Edwina Pickles

He is in Sydney to launch a collection under the Designers For Target umbrella, a 42-piece range that includes everything from print bikinis to full-tilt glamour gowns.

“All over the world, I am stopped in the street and women say, 'I want to wear Cavalli but I cannot afford to.' I want for young Australian women to feel beautiful and give many girls the possibility to be happy with my dresses.”

The Cavalli For Target range goes on sale on Wednesday and the retailer is expecting consumer pandemonium similar to that of the Stella McCartney and Zac Posen sellout collections.

“The entry price is $49,” said Target Australia managing director Dene Rogers. ”We've made sure the range is sized correctly — eight through 16 – and spent a lot of money and time getting the fit right.”

Cavalli moves to Melbourne this weekend as a star guest in the Birdcage on Derby Day.

“The fashion will be interesting … good for me to understand the mentality of the Australian woman," he says. "You go to Ascot [England] and it's really amazing”.

Italian coffee giant Lavazza has remodelled its trattoria-style marquee for its fashionable guest. Its new version features sleek white furniture and walls and awnings adorned with bright pops of neon. Michelin-starred chef Alfredo Russo has been flown in from Turin to create an equally luxurious menu.

Cavalli is looking forward to the fashion at Flemington, except for the headwear.

“I don't like hats! I like the hair to be soft – why you want to cover the most beautiful part? It's like when a beautiful woman covers her beautiful eyes with a mask – why? I don't like them but don't tell anyone I said that.”

• Love it! Bought everything I wanted this morning! Can't wait for other designers to follow in Cavalli's footsteps.

Nicole
    October 31, 2012, 9:57AM
    • Cavali looks really old, is he kind enough to design anything for an over 80? Would love to trounce the show ponies on Melbourne Cup Day, I've got the pins you know! Move aside youngsters I am going to wear my all in one under his great creation.

Pickled Herring
      Frankston
      October 31, 2012, 11:50AM
  • It would be nice if Target could get some designers for menswear too like they do in the US

MC
    Melb
    October 31, 2012, 10:58AM
    • I agree Thongs and Tee's are a bit deriguerre for our Targeted metrosexuals.

Pickled Herring
      Frankston
      October 31, 2012, 11:52AM
  • Has anyone had a look at the collection? Prints. Loud ones. Yuck.

Alix
    October 31, 2012, 1:09PM
    • Very disappointed with the range, if you have any sort of chest then don't bother trying them on. The dresses are all short chested and could not be adjusted. The store I was in had more women walking back and hanging garments on the rack than were heading to the checkout to purchase.
      The sizes are very very small, even smaller than the Stella M range which I bought lots of a couple of years back and fitted into. All the size 16 garments were gone and from the look of the size 14 they were closer to a 10.
      Sorry Target, but next time if you want only model sized women to buy your goods, could you please tell us beforehand so we don't waste our lunchhours?

womenhavebreast
      melbourne
      October 31, 2012, 1:21PM
      • wow, no wonder Target's prices on their every day clothing has gone through the roof ; they need it to pay these over priced designers to have their names in the store! How about getting someone to design a decent maternity line if you must have 'designer' names in your store? Something other than boring knit jersey feed tops would be great thanks...and while you are at it, how about a few more size 18 things NOT in knit jersey in brown/grey/black or horizontal stripes?

fedupstayathomemumma
        October 31, 2012, 2:17PM
        • Am I the only one who thinks he looks like a lecherous old man? Just look at the pic with the rose ...

Rye
          October 31, 2012, 2:53PM
          • Has anyone had a look through the Target site and seen the model shots? It looks as though they've photoshopped the 'larger' model shots to just make them look bigger! Some of the angles are just so totally wrong, and the proportions are way off. It almost looks as though it's the exact same model but they've just stretched the images to make her look bigger.

Is this just my eyes or do other people see the same thing?

Ailie
            October 31, 2012, 5:56PM
            • That's exactly what I thought! It's the same model and they've just photoshopped her!

MO4