The Golden Girl

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Hawkins on looking good

For Jennifer Hawkins, looking good is more than a walk in the park.

PT0M0S 620 349

Spending time with Jennifer Hawkins is like sitting in the sun. It’s warm, languid – you feel good after it.

A true professional, Hawkins always goes the extra mile. She'll answer an extra question, pose for one more photo, sign autographs – she doesn’t discriminate between fan, client or journo - she obliges requests gracefully and authentically.

"When you have that special spark you’ll always have it – Jake and I really do".

That’s the Hawkins magic - she’s respectful of her good fortune and understands what it takes to maintain it.

Catwalk queen ... Jennifer Hawkins leads the Myer fashion parade. Photos: Getty Images

"I’m blessed - I know that. I love my job and I’m very lucky to have it," she told me yesterday during rehearsals for her headlining role on the Myer Spring Summer 2013 runway.

Now in her sixth year with the retailer, Jennifer looked every part the glamazon in show-stopping outfits set on an epic in-the-round catwalk. "There's so many trends to choose from this season and colour everywhere. The new essential is a great pair of pants - I'm obsessed with the Ellery flares - they’re on my shopping list and a new bikini."

Brand name ... Jennifer Hawkins lends her marketing magneticism to Myer. Photos: Getty Images

No doubt said swimsuit will be from her swim line Cozi which joins her shoe label JLH and property development business under the ever expanding umbrella of Brand Jennifer.

Did she imagine this kind of empire? "I believe in going for it. Getting good advice and being hands-on. I work hard and like trying new things – there’s still a lot on my to-do list."

Top of that list is planning her wedding to long-term love Jake Wall. Hawkins eyes light up when she speaks about her groom-to-be - she even blushes. "Of course you have to work at relationships but I think when you have that special spark you’ll always have it – Jake and I really do."

So will she be doing multiple frock changes a la Kim Kardashian? "No! Goodness no. You’d never be at your own wedding! All you’d be doing is leaving to put on another outfit – just one great dress will be enough for me".

• Jennifer's transformation since 2006 has been incredible. She looks so different. Wonder why she doesn't head overseas to crack the international modelling market like Miranda and the others?

Jean
    August 17, 2012, 11:18AM
    • Jean, agreed about the difference in looks. When she was attempting to smile on the catwalk, I assumed botox was involved, since the resultant expression was rather indecipherable.
      On the subject of her being pleasant to talk to -- that's her job. The brand wouldn't go well with a sniping old curmudgeon such as myself pointing out that showing off frocks is not exactly solving world peace.
      Once again the PR hacks must be totting up figures to give to their clients, to show them how much they have "saved" in advertising costs, by having all this fashion frippery flashed across screens in the "news" broadcasts.

L. Beau Bendon-Stretton
      August 17, 2012, 11:45AM
    • Jennifer Hawkins would not get a look-in overseas. Period.

Melbs
      August 17, 2012, 12:09PM
  • Yes she certainly does look different. Almost too different ....

Lucy
    August 17, 2012, 11:26AM
    • I thought the Gina Reinhart was on the board of Fairfax but it seems we have the board of Myer running the SMH coverage this morning. This is not news. It is new and maybe for some, interesting but more enough is enough!!!!

ihgray
      August 17, 2012, 11:27AM
      • Come on ihgray, Gina Reinhart should be up there on the catwalk not like Jennifer Hawkins the plastic barbie doll, Gina's one HOT babe and would look good in anything!!!

Mark of Glandore
        August 18, 2012, 12:03PM
    • Here, take this brain cell to rub against your other one.

Ms Anthropist
      August 17, 2012, 11:39AM
      • What's wrong with her face????? It's disturbing. She has no expression. It makes her eyes look dead.

Kel
        August 17, 2012, 12:42PM
        • As a female who does not hold back on criticism, I have been a long supporter of "J Hawk" ever since the 2004 Miss Universe where she included an extra step / skip in the bikini modelling section. The reason: she looked like she was truly enjoying what she was doing. She was playful. And she looked radiant.

Plus her 'girl next door' appeal was secured when they interviewed her live, and included a phone chat with her parents where her (near) first words were "I love you and miss you so much".

She also seems friendly and down to earth in interviews and on TV shows like 'Getaway'.

She hasn't really ever given off the 'I'm hot and I know it" attitude, unlike others in the media who are far less attractive. More of a 'I am loving life and enjoying the people I love around me" attitude. (BUT she might be completely different in person, who knows, I am willing to be friends with her to find out =D)

So girl crush?? With her good attitude, family values and radiance.. what's not to like =)

just a girl
          melbourne
          August 17, 2012, 12:46PM
          • What's not to like?
            That's she enjoys the exploitation of her very being by Myer. That she is where she is only by the fact she meets a certain ' look'. That she is fawned over by the likes of Paula Joye for their own ends. That Ive never heard her speak of anything other than clothes. That she is everything I would discourage in a daughter.
            To start with.