Blessed be the little children

Last week I was sick. Very sick. So were the kids. Between the three of us we helped fund the pharmacist’s new Porsche.

For about three days I was all but useless.

The biggest pitfall of single parenthood is when the chief decision-maker, the cook, the cleaner, the story teller, the nurturer, the homework marker, the chauffeur, the shoelace tier, the tuckshop convenor, the communications director, and principal policy maker is out of action – the world stops.

Davoren Inc comes to a grinding halt. Routine? What routine?

Two minute noodles for dinner? Sure. No problem.

You want to take biscuits and Easter eggs for lunch? Of course.

You don’t want to shower? Ok... fine. Whatever. Just please change your underwear.

Children know when to take advantage of a situation. Any parent will tell you that.

When the head of the house is in any way pre-occupied, be it on the telephone, with a guest, or on the toilet – children know all their Christmases have come at once.

Now is the time they will try to get away with blue murder, knowing the repercussions, if any, will be either less severe or delayed in their metering out.

Party time for under-12s consists of sneaking chocolate at every opportunity, playing iPods secretly under the covers when they are supposed to be sleeping, not coming when they are called because their mother is an invalid who can’t get her hands on them when they ignore her demands.

The same undisciplined display occurs whenever the phone rings – it is the equivalent of an alarm signalling a free-for-all is imminent.

So too, when a guest arrives at the front door.

“Mum will never go off her rocker in front of a visitor. I can refuse to do as I’m told and get away with not doing my homework.”

“Mum is in the shower and can’t hear me beating my sister to a pulp.”

“Mum is sick in bed and has no idea I’m staying up way past my bedtime to play Angry Birds on my iPod.”

Maintaining control when you know realistically you’ve got none, and the little buggers have you cornered, is all a game of deception.

Now is when you need to bluff your children into submission. Bring out the “angry” voice and fool them into thinking hell will rain down, even if all you are capable of is a feeble stretch toward the nearest tissue box.

Amid the misery of my tissues and tablets however, I did witness some moments of magic - my two little beacons of hope abandoned the chocolate stash and the iPods long enough to come to my rescue on a number of occasions, with lots of cuddles and kind words to help ease my pain.

Battling a larger-than-normal dose of mother guilt and feeling the crown slipping from my “mother of the year” forehead  – my two precious little people picked up the slack.

When the 11-year-old adamantly refused to let me make school lunches, I was most impressed with her resourcefulness in piecing together the contents, elaborate sandwiches included, to meet all essential dietary requirements.

Little Miss Nine got in on the act by stroking my forehead and bringing me Panadol whether I needed it or not. I told her she’d make a great mother one day.

“Just like you Mum,” she replied.

Ah... bless their dear little hearts.

-----------------------------------

You can join Dirty Laundry on Facebook or follow the discussion on Twitter.

• Awwwwwww

Raida
    chewing salty razors
    April 24, 2012, 8:50AM
    • Ahhhh, this is where we atheists get a hard time of it. Much easier for the religiously inclined as their children know that while mum may be incapacitated, a higher power is watching and will most likely get them with divine retribution!

Atheist
      April 24, 2012, 8:50AM
      • Santa?

Jon
        Brisbane
        April 24, 2012, 10:04AM
    • There is something I find attractive about single mothers.

Maybe it's because I hold a deep respect for the daily difficulties they endure - a life put on hold to develop the lives of others. Or perhaps because I like kids, and deeply wish I had them myself. Maybe it's stories like this that give me a warm fuzzy feeling about family.

Or maybe it's just because they're single.

Journeyman
      April 24, 2012, 10:29AM
      • The only problem I have with my kids in this regard is that they are unbelievably lazy, other than that, no real issues ... then again I never get sick, I won't allow myself to, I just can't afford it, there is no backup, fall back position or Plan B, I am the first, last and only protection my family has.

Also while I know there are any number of people who bag supplements but I take a fair number of these everyday as a nutritional & stress insurance policy.

Bob Rhino
        Westish
        April 24, 2012, 10:47AM
        • Just as well you didn't have laryngitis. You need to buy 'the claw' toy so that you can grab your little ones whenever they stray within a metre of your death bed.

Jill
          on the hill
          April 24, 2012, 11:40AM
          • Hate to rain on your parade here Heidi, but when my wife is sick, I take over her duties... one of the roles of husband and father...

Spike
            April 24, 2012, 12:49PM
            • What is the point of this comment, other than to be spiteful and cruel?

The article is clearly about single parents.

Go back to your box.