Time flies

God, has it been that long?

No. Not that... Has it been that long since I left high school? Gosh people, really!

The twenty year reunion is looming. Twenty long years. Twenty amazing, tragic, funny, sad, joyful, beautiful years have passed since my high school graduation.

And while some school friends chose their outfits, booked their hair appointments and arranged babysitters 18 months ago in preparation for the big night – I positively, absolutely, categorically do not share their enthusiasm.

In fact, I would rather clean the toilet, iron three baskets of clothes, run a marathon, stick needles in my eyes, and eat dead spiders before walking into a room full of people, some of whose names I will surely have forgotten, in order to painstakingly dissect my life.

You already help me do that here.

“So your marriage ended? Why? So you’re working where? So you’re kids go to what school? So you changed your hair colour. So you’re single now? So where are you living?”

Undoubtedly there are always the insecure few who need to compare who owns what, did what, shagged whom, who has the best figure, the smartest kids, the most kids, the hottest car and the biggest bank balance post teenage angst.

Not I.

Does that make me anti-social? Is it wrong not to care for the popularity contest that sadly is the founding basis for such events?

While I have a handful of dear high school friends whom I cherish, for the most part the majority of my former classmates have fallen from my social calendar, which in turn makes comparing careers, cars and kids with virtual strangers not so appealing.

I made an appearance at the ten year reunion which provided enough spectacle to ensure my attendance at the next is not compulsory.

Heavily pregnant, unfortunately sober and weary of fake pleasantries I was afforded a flashback to the hormone-driven locker rooms of yesteryear  – girls cried in the toilets because someone didn’t speak to them; old flames tried to ignite a lost love interest; others gossiped about who got fat, who got skinny and who got Botox.

It was a night of heavy drinking and light entertainment, let’s be honest.

My attendance at the 10-year reunion is my duty done to the class of 92. I was school captain, but I’m afraid my obligation ends there.

I have moved on. But I am concerned there are some who have not.

It is nice to visit the past, but living in it is not healthy. Thanks for the memories, they are fond and plentiful, but the future is calling.

-----------------------------------

You can join Dirty Laundry on Facebook or follow the discussion on Twitter.

• Yes it does make you anti social, and ever so depressing.....

Darryltj
    April 17, 2012, 7:55AM
    • Disagree

Deano
      Bondi
      April 17, 2012, 12:16PM
    • I too, disagree.

Armchair Anarchist
      April 17, 2012, 1:09PM
    • I agree with you Darryl. Anti-social definitely.
      20 years - pfft.
      I've just been to a 45 year reunion.

Baby Boomers are less likey to over analyse the situation, and their own importance, and just enjoy the experience for what it is.

Wasim Ranamadruta
      Bundoora
      April 17, 2012, 2:48PM
    • I three disagree!! :-)

my 20th HSR was last year, it's depressing to me the thought of seeing people I didn't like back then, didn't want to see after HS then somehow "catch up" after not having to endure them for the last 20 years!!!

Like others, I see the HS pals I want to see, that is my HSR

Mark
      April 17, 2012, 3:44PM
    • Oh, sorry. I was referring to the blog.

Who cares about reunions.

Darryltj
      April 17, 2012, 6:18PM
  • Depends on your outlook. If you're going to meet a bunch of people you never see for the sake of comparison, competing and malicious gossip then sure that's pretty dumb.

If you're going to meet a bunch of people who you grew up with and want to reacquaint yourself with to see the different walks of life you've all gone down then why not?

As a teenager of course disagreements and such occurred between the 150 of us but by the last 2 years of school we all more or less matured and got along and we were either close friends or friendly acquaintances.

We all still chat every now and then on facebook (some of whom we see every week or month) and there's no competing, just acceptance that we have different roles in society to play. Mmmm maturity.

Jill
    psychedelia
    April 17, 2012, 8:43AM
    • It would be a mixture of both, wouldn't it? I've never been to a HSR, and I imagine there would be an unpleasant 'oneupmanship' side to it, and catching up on some people who are not interesting, but also some pleasant surprises and maybe some welcome renewed friendships. I've probably missed the boat as my school's 30 year reunion - if there was one - passed me by. After that, people start getting too old, I guess.

alto
      April 17, 2012, 12:19PM
    • I agree Jill, or perhaps that has as much to do with the school environment as anything else (and mine was unusual). The group comprised vastly differing lifestyles

On the other hand, my daughter's one year reunion was on recently, and she and her close group were uninterested in attending. From their perspective, they were still close to those they got on well with, and although they were extremely lucky in having a very friendly year, they hadn't caught up with the others for a reason. Even those they were vaguely friendly with were on Facebook and they knew what they were up to. Their life and lifestyles will cover a far more narrow band than those from my old school, so I guess that matters.

bornagirl
      April 17, 2012, 3:04PM
    • Well expressed Jill!
      Thankfully the people I went to school with do not have such a negative, insecure and shallow opinion of each other.

We do keep in contact with some on facebook and in our busy lives we see this as an opportunity to get face to face with old friends and aquaintences who are now spread out throughout Australia and the rest of the world.

I hope this is an article to stir discussion because I would feel truly sorry for someone that could really think the way the author has expressed herself.

Dad of Two