Beer-swilling bride a storm in a stubbie

What's wrong with this picture? ... Katrina Hayman was snapped swilling a beer at the Taranaki Bride of the Year contest. Photo: Cameron Burnell/Taranaki Daily News

She had a beer. So what.

Stubbie-swilling Katrina Hayman has hit back after a photograph of her drinking a beer at a local Bride of the Year competition ''outraged'' New Zealand and caused a controversy that made headlines as far away as the UK.

Organisers of the bridal event called for an apology, many New Zealanders expressed their displeasure and online commentators slammed the photo as "disgusting" after it appeared in the Taranaki Daily News yesterday.

But the woman at the centre of the storm can’t understand what the fuss is about.

"I mean, that is just the type of person I am," said Ms Hayman, whose occupation was listed as a ''pig midwife'' on a Hawera farm by the newspaper

"I don't like to portray myself as someone I am not. A lot of females drink beer and it's just I felt more comfortable having a beer than having a wine."

Ms Hayman, who married in March and appeared at the event to model her bridal gown, was snapped knocking back the beer backstage.

The local newspaper’s decision to run the picture on its front page drew ire from organisers, who said it portrayed the event in a poor light.

Taranaki Bride of the Year co-convener Lynn Gilbert-Smith asked for an apology.

"As I am sure many would have preferred to have seen a photo on the front page of the winning bride of the year, rather than a free commercial for Tui,’’ she wrote in a complaint to the Daily News.

But Ms Hayman said she loved the photograph and accompanying story, and had received nothing but support from her friends, family and new husband.

She said no-one would have commented if she had been sipping a glass of wine.

"So what if I enjoy a Tui (beer) over drinking wine and I haven't hurt anybody doing that. Only a lot of jealous people would be negative, at the end of the day we are meant to be ourselves," she said.

- Stuff.co.nz

twitter Follow Life & Style on Twitter

Pinterest Follow Life & Style on Pinterest

Instagram Follow Life & Style on Instagram @life_style_news

• I don't like my women drinking beer as it means there is less for me.

State the Obvious
    May 16, 2012, 1:13PM
    • Especially as it is a Tui! Best beer EVER!

Drew
      May 16, 2012, 1:37PM
    • Solution: Buy more beer

Glenstar
      May 16, 2012, 2:15PM
    • Must be your shout glenstar

State the Obvious
      May 16, 2012, 3:35PM
  • What the hell is the problem with her enjoying a beer? They could have chosen a more flattering photo but it doesn't reflect badly on her.

rl
    sydney
    May 16, 2012, 1:21PM
    • The kiwis...what can I say...nothing else exciting happens over there so they have to create noise over a simple picture...

thelord
      May 16, 2012, 1:30PM
      • Nothing else happens in NZ? Suspect it might be that nothing's happening in Melbourne right now. Currently this story has prominent billing on The Age, while it's not at all on the rather large main page of Stuff.co.nz (the NZ Fairfax news portal), and I haven't seen it there previously - this is in fact the first I've heard of the story.

As for any controversy, I think I'll stick to a simple "wowsers go away".

Ex-pat
        May 16, 2012, 1:51PM
    • Your opening line said it all....
      "She had a beer. So what."
      It looks like it was a "boutique" type beer, not a VB, and acoording to previous news paper reports we are now all about women enjoying the new age of beers with complex flavours and subtle hints of herbs, flowers, fruit and spices. Beer is the new wine!

ellbee71
      Gold Coast
      May 16, 2012, 1:32PM
      • Tui is a student beer with amusing ads. The 'yeah right' campaign is one of the best I've seen.
        It also tastes like a gorilla has just walked across your tongue and taken a dump.

BekW