Alleged killer watched Kelly treated

As Thomas Kelly lay bleeding on the Kings Cross pavement, floored by a forceful blow from a stranger, he was being watched, not only by his distressed girlfriend, a friend and concerned onlookers - but by his alleged attacker.

As paramedics tried in vain to resuscitate Mr Kelly, police began taking details of those gathered in the crowd. One potential witness was Kieran Loveridge.

But as Mr Kelly's death gave way to a comprehensive manhunt for a killer, detectives gradually realised one of their witnesses was their prime suspect.

During 12 days of painstaking investigation, detectives examined the July 7 attack on the notorious entertainment strip from dozens of angles.

CCTV from shops, nightclubs, strip joints and takeaway outlets was seized and witnesses spoken to. But one image reappeared.

Spurred on by an emotional community response to Mr Kelly's death, others came forward to reveal they too had been the victim of random violence that night. Police allege three others were the victims of Loveridge.


Police will allege it was a crime spree lasting more than an hour.

It began at 10.03pm, when Loveridge allegedly struck Marco Compagnonio, 18, who, with a nightclub promoter friend, was handing out flyers on the corner of Darlinghurst Road and Victoria Street. He sustained a cut above his eye but was not seriously injured.

Two minutes later, Mr Loveridge is alleged to have delivered Mr Kelly a blow that knocked him to the ground, fatally injuring him.

Police allege the violence then paused for almost 45 minutes. Loveridge was next detected near the corner of Darlinghurst Road and Roslyn Street. They say he was loitering opposite the Empire Hotel, where he allegedly assaulted Matthew Serrao, an eastern suburbs real estate agent, just before 11pm.

The fourth victim was a 20-year-old world champion Thai boxer, Rhyse Saliba, who had been celebrating his birthday.

Mr Saliba suffered only a small cut on his cheek. The punch was not strong. ''I was just talking to my mate when someone hit me from behind. It took me a second to realise what had happened. I thought someone had thrown a tennis ball at me,'' he said.

Thomas Kelly might still be alive if Mr Saliba had been the first victim, said Mr Saliba's coach, Jason Lapin. ''Rhyse … would have chased him and caught him for sure.

''When Rhyse came to the gym on Monday and said what had happened, he just felt so bad for Thomas Kelly's parents,'' the coach said. ''He just said 'Oh my god, it could have been so different'.''

After 12 days of piecing together a grainy puzzle, police were confident they had their man and the ''arrest phase'' began on Wednesday afternoon. Swooping on a grandstand on a back field at Belmore sports ground, police found Loveridge and a mate watching a coaching clinic held by the Canterbury Bulldogs and the NSW Rugby League Western Academy. He was arrested without incident.

State Crime Commander Mal Lanyon said the Kelly family had been warned on Wednesday that officers might soon move on their target. Ralph and Kathy Kelly declined all requests for interviews yesterday. They and their son's siblings will farewell him today at his former school, The King's School.

In a bizarre twist, Fairfax has learnt that Loveridge was known to a number of Mr Kelly's classmates at the school after they clashed with him at a party 18 months ago.

But this is not believed to be the motive for the attack on Mr Kelly, which police will allege was random and unprovoked.

Acting Commissioner Catherine Burn said: ''I really pay my respects to the family. They have been unbelievably strong and dignified at such a time of terrible, terrible tragedy for them.''

Acting Assistant Commissioner Lanyon said none of the man's alleged victims knew him and he would not comment on any motive.

''It was physical force used in each of the three incidents outside Mr Kelly and not dissimilar in nature,'' he said. In Burwood Local Court yesterday, Loveridge appeared charged with murder, two counts of common assault and one of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. He wiped away tears as the case was mentioned briefly.

His lawyers will apply for bail next week. Fairfax has learnt Mr Loveridge moved in rugby league circles, playing for Toongabbie All Saints, and also touch football with the Parramatta Touch Association.

John Nolan from the association said Loveridge played one season with the club and showed no signs of aggression or violence.

''He had no history of misconduct or any misbehaviour, he was clean,'' said Mr Nolan.

Estranged from his family, Loveridge is understood to be close to his girlfriend. He went to Model Farms High School at Baulkham Hills, where he was often in trouble with teachers, a former schoolmate said. with Brad Walter