At least 15 asylum seekers are believed to have drowned after their boat sank off the coast of Indonesia as it made its way to Australia.
An official with the Indonesian search and rescue agency, BASARNAS, has confirmed that more than 20 survivors had been recovered.
The BASARNAS official said that 15 people had drowned after the boat they were on sank on Friday. ''Local police are saying that 25 people have been rescued,'' he said. It's believed to be the first fatal attempted asylum-seeker crossing under the coalition government, and comes after another group of 44 asylum seekers were rescued by an Australian navy vessel in the Sunda Strait on Thursday.