JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript to use My News, My Clippings, My Comments and user settings.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

Breast cancer gene mutations find

Date

Women with a family history of breast cancer could in future be screened for more gene mutations after a find by Victorian scientists.

Researchers from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre have identified changes in two genes that will add to understanding of hereditary breast cancer.

Mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes are found in 20per cent of women with a family history of breast cancer. But a genetic explanation for the remaining 80 per cent has remained elusive. The latest finding pinpoints mutations in two other genes, FANCC and BLM, although researchers believe these will only account for 1per cent of familial breast cancer cases.

The study was  published on Thursday in PLOS Genetics.

Featured advertisers

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo