Bernard McGrath.

Bernard McGrath. Photo: Dean Kozanic

RELATIVES of alleged victims of a former Catholic brother paedophile say police were given official complaints about him two years ago, raising questions about how he was able to move to a Sri Lankan tea plantation earlier this year.

They now fear Bernard McGrath could pose a significant risk to children he was likely to encounter while living overseas.

NSW Police have refused to explain why they did not speed up extradition proceedings for McGrath. He left his Christchurch base in New Zealand's south island around ''early winter'' to travel to the Sri Lankan tea plantation, according to his New Zealand-based brother, Clem.

Court records show NSW police lodged 252 charges against the former St John of God Order brother in Newcastle court on June 27 relating to his time at the Kendall Grange boys home at Morisset on the NSW central coast from the 1950s to the 1990s.

But a NZ source told Fairfax Media that the formal extradition request had only come to NZ police from Interpol on November 15 - nearly five months after the charges were laid.

Yesterday the father of one of McGrath's alleged victims questioned whether police had been given enough resources.

''It is appallingly wrong to think that anyone might have got away with crimes because of the systems we have,'' he said.

Two years ago, the man said, he reported his son's allegations about McGrath to police. Charlestown police established Strike Force Lozano to investigate allegations from the 1970s and 1980s.

On Monday, Detective Senior Constable Russell Turnbull of Strike Force Lozano declined to comment.