Date: July 01 2012
Foreign Minister Bob Carr says six young Australians accused of murdering a doorman while they were holidaying in Peru have been given consular assistance.
Lino Rodriguez Vilchez, 46, died on January 19 in an incident that was first treated as a suicide by Peruvian police who now allege it was homicide.
Australians Jessica Vo, Hugh Hanlon, Tom Hanlon, Sam Smith, Harrison Geier and Andrew Pilat, all in their 20s, have spoken of their disbelief that they are being accused of pushing the doorman to his death at an apartment block in Lima.
Senator Carr said today no one had been charged over the death.
He said the Australians first contacted the Australian embassy in Lima after a police investigation into the death in their apartment building.
"They were advised by Peruvian authorities that they could continue with their travel plans and they've returned to Australia," Senator Carr said.
"Our embassy staff will continue to seek information from Peruvian authorities and have assisted the group with information from local lawyers."
The six Australians said they would send statements to the Peruvian judge looking into the case.
This material is subject to copyright and any unauthorised use, copying or mirroring is prohibited.
[ Canberra Times | Text-only index]