JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript to use My News, My Clippings, My Comments and user settings.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

Corby family lobbying frustrating head of Bali's parole board

Job at stake: Ketut Artha.

Job at stake: Ketut Artha. Photo: Amilia Rosa

Lobbying by Schapelle Corby's family to allow her paid TV interview is frustrating the head of Bali's parole board, who says his job is at stake.

Ketut Artha says Corby's Balinese brother-in-law, Wayan Widyartha, met him this week to campaign for the convicted drug smuggler.

Corby has been offered a lucrative interview by the Seven Network, but Indonesia's justice ministry says it will likely breach her parole conditions by upsetting the community.

Campaigning for Corby: Wayan Widyartha.

Campaigning for Corby: Wayan Widyartha. Photo: Michel O'Sullivan

Kompyang Adnyana, the head of the Bali Justice Office, on Thursday said the interview could only do harm.

"[The] deputy justice minister already explained it, what will happen if they continue with the interview, it will harm themselves," he said.

"No-one from Corby's side contacted Bali Justice Office to ask about going ahead with the interview so far."

Staying at the villa with Corby: Mike Willesee.

Staying at the villa with Corby: Mike Willesee. Photo: Amilia Rosa

But Mr Artha says Wayan, the husband of Corby's sister Mercedes, gave him a letter requesting permission for the interview.

"I said to him that I don't need to give you another answer to that, because it's all clear - there's no permission as has been instructed by the deputy minister," he said.

"Many times I have been told that it's impossible (for the interview) to be allowed and my position is at stake because of that."

Mr Artha says Wayan then said he would go to the provincial office of the law and human rights ministry and ask them for permission instead.

"I told him, 'Just go ahead. It's impossible to get it'."

Channel 7 said this afternoon the money offered to the Corby family for an interview was in the "ballpark" of $500,000.

In an interview with Fairfax Radio, Seven's commercial director Bruce McWilliam said: "I'm not going to tell you the actual figure, but you're not saying a crazy thing.

"It's in that ballpark."

Corby was released from Bali's Kerobokan prison last Monday and has been out of public view since, staying at a five-star Seminyak resort.

Mr Artha says he would prefer Corby leave the luxury villa and stay in Wayan's family home, which is the address she put on her parole documents.

Also staying at the villa are Seven Network staff, including her would-be interviewer, Mike Willesee, who has stressed there is not yet a deal with Corby.

He has also talked down the multimillion-dollar price tag first attached to the tell-all.

The Australian Federal Police searched Seven's Sydney offices this week for evidence of any payment, as part of a proceeds-of-crime investigation.

Seven West Media chief executive Tim Worner says the "massive overreaction" was all for naught, because the document at the centre of the raid was an unsigned draft.

with AAP and Amilia Rosa

Featured advertisers

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo