Flood donations 'very low'
Donations to the Queensland flood appeal have reached just $6 million, not coming "anywhere near" the amount needed to help out victims.PT1M41S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2dvj7 620 349 February 5, 2013
THE head of Queensland's flood appeal says donations are so low they won't go anywhere near helping those who have lost all their possessions. Terry Mackenroth said only $6 million had been raised, including $1 million each from the state and federal governments. ''For the amount of devastation I've seen just through watching television, it is not going to go anywhere near paying the sorts of claims we will receive,'' he said. ''When someone's house has been flooded, they probably don't even have a toothbrush. They've lost everything.'' Mr Mackenroth said just to make emergency payments, the committee would need to raise between $15 million and $25 million. He cited the flood appeal two years ago that raised $250 million, and the cyclone Larry appeal, which raised $25 million. The Queensland Flood Appeal Committee met for the first time on Monday at the Red Cross Queensland headquarters in Brisbane. Mr Mackenroth said members would be briefed on how many households would need help, begin outlining eligibility criteria and decide when applications could open. The first emergency payments would not be means-tested, but larger payouts are expected to require some proof of eligibility. Mr Mackenroth said he was conscious of criticism from the appeal two years ago about how long it took for payments to be made.