HEY Dad! star Robert Hughes has been charged with 11 child sex offences dating back to the 1980s.
Hughes appeared in court when his matter was briefly heard on Thursday afternoon. He did not enter a plea.
Robert Hughes arrives in Sydney
RAW VISION: Police escort former Hey Dad star from Sydney International airport after he was extradited from the UK over sex abuse charges.
Police did not oppose bail and it was granted by the court on strict conditions, including $50,000 surety.
He must also report to police three times a week, forfeit his passport and not go near an international departure point.
The 64-year-old landed at Sydney Airport just before 7.30am on Thursday, flanked by New South Wales Police officers who had escorted him on a Qantas flight from Heathrow.
He was then taken to the Sydney Police Centre.
The former prime-time TV star consented to an order sought by Attorney-General Nicola Roxon that he return to Sydney for questioning in relation to allegations he assaulted five children between 1985 and 1990 while starring on the popular family sitcom.
Hughes faces 11 accusations made by people who were aged seven to 15 at the time of the alleged abuse.
Earlier, Hughes' lawyer, Greg Walsh, said his client was holding up as well as could be expected and hoped to get bail and return home to his wife, celebrity agent Robyn Gardiner.
Mr Walsh said his client denied all charges and would be pleading not guilty.
"I think he's functioning well, he's very tired … he's very stressed,'' Mr Walsh said.
''The main anxiety he's got is his freedom and, in particular, being reunited with his wife.
''They have a very close and loving relationship, that's very obvious to me.
''I saw Robyn yesterday and she's very anxious.''
Sex crimes commander Detective Superintendent John Kerlatec said Hughes declined to be interviewed by detectives at Surry Hills Police Station on Thursday morning.
All the alleged victims had been contacted, Detective Superintendent Kerlatec said.
''They are pleased with the progress to this stage,'' he added.
''We still have a long way to go. We are focused on the [alleged victims] and allowing them to have their say in court but also we must remember the accused has the right to defend these matters.''
He said police did not expect to lay any further charges in relation to these alleged victims.
Claims against Hughes were first made public in 2010.
He was living in London with his wife when arrested in August by police seeking his extradition.
He has been on bail since his arrest.
He played the central character Martin Kelly in the hit TV series.