Family desperate for clues in shock Bali deaths
Fatal reaction to a fish meal may have caused tragic death of Aussie pair who fell violently ill and died in Bali on Saturday just hours into their holiday. Nine News.PT1M56S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-30cdn 620 349 January 6, 2014
The past fortnight was bliss for Noelene Bischoff and her daughter, Yvana Jeana Yuri Bischoff. The pair had celebrated Yvana's 14th birthday as well as Christmas and New Year's Eve.
Their next big event was a Bali holiday. But less than 24 hours after arriving on the island, the mother and daughter from Wurtulla on the Sunshine Coast were dead.
The Bischoff family on Sunday said the deaths of the inseparable pair were ''freakish'' and inexplicable and the family was confused by suggestions the two had suffered an allergic reaction to food.
Inseparable: Yvana and her mother, Noelene Bischoff. Photo: Supplied
Keryn Bischoff, Noelene's sister-in-law, said neither had declared food allergies or carried an EpiPen, and Noelene loved eating seafood.
A ''blurry'' timeline of events added to their suspicion.
''I hope there's no foul play involved,'' Ms Bischoff said.
Yvana in her school uniform. Photo: Supplied
The pair checked into Padang Bai Beach Resort before 3pm on Friday and visited the nearby district of Ubud before returning to the resort for dinner.
Just after midnight, Yvana alerted security to their violent illness. They were taken by private ambulance to hospital, but Noelene died en route at 1.45am, local sources said.
Yvana was then rushed to BIMC Hospital, an international clinic in Denpasar. Despite still being conscious and able to speak to doctors on arrival, she could not be saved.
Police said: ''Checking the scene, we found lots of medicine. All the medicines are from abroad. The vomit and medicines have been taken to forensic laboratory.''
Noelene's brother Malcolm Bischoff believed Yvana told hospital staff she had eaten mahi-mahi for dinner at the resort. The hospital investigators suspected the fish carried toxins.
On Sunday afternoon, a resort manager told the family he had eaten the same meal as Noelene and Yvana and he had not felt ill.
The chief of criminal investigations in Karangasem, Adnan Pangibu, is handling the case. Police recovered a receipt from Noelene's purse that appeared to be from a restaurant in Sukawati. Mr Pangibu said the restaurant was not suspected of any wrongdoing. No other customers who had visited the restaurant that day reported being sick.
Police did not disclose the restaurant's name nor the list of dishes on the receipt.
Keryn Bischoff said the pair had travelled to Fiji, Thailand, Vanuatu and New Zealand for holidays.
''Every other year they came home,'' Ms Bischoff said. Noelene, a managing nurse at Caloundra Hospital, had travelled to Bali before and spent her 20s backpacking in Europe.
''This happened to my sister-in-law Noelene, who is a triple-certificate nursing sister with a master's degree and a bachelor of clinical medicine,'' Ms Bischoff said.
Yvana had just finished year 8 at Caloundra Christian College, deputy principal Andrew Priaulx said. The school community was planning to hold a memorial service on Thursday.
The bodies are awaiting autopsies. Noelene's sister, Desley, will fly to Bali to bring them home.
A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trading spokesman said the Australian consul-general in Bali was liaising with authorities.