Police have found the remains of a man taken by a crocodile in front of his family in Kakadu National Park.
The 62-year-old's remains were found inside a 4.7-metre long crocodile, which was shot dead by police. Police also shot a second large saltwater crocodile during their search for the man, who was in a boat when he was attacked in a billabong, southwest of Cooinda, in the Northern Territory.
Search for man in crocodile attack
A 52-year-old man is missing after he was attacked by a crocodile while in a boat on a billabong in Kakadu National Park. Nine news.
His wife, son and daughter-in-law were with him on a camping holiday in the remote area and drove to Cooinda to raise the alarm after the attack on Saturday afternoon. It is believed the family are from Darwin and had previously camped in Kakadu.
"I can only assume they are devastated," said Sergeant Andrew Hocking. "The water is deep in this billabong...There is always the potential for a crocodile attack."
The remains, which were found about midday on Sunday, were yet to be formally identified, Sergeant Hocking said. The crocodiles were killed by police in the billabong about 1.5 kilometres from where the man was taken.
There was no indication the man was swimming when he was attacked, although investigations were continuing, Sergeant Hocking said. The man and his family were in an area of the park that was recently opened to the public, he said.
Crocodile expert Graeme Webb said it was unusual for a crocodile to attack at this time of year, as the reptiles usually laid low during the cooler months. "They tend to move around a lot more when it warms up...and that's when they're more dangerous," he said.
"I don't know what has happened in this case but it sounds horrific."
Mr Webb, chairman of the international union for conservation of nature's crocodile specialist group, said there had been reports in the past of crocodiles approaching and going aboard boats.
Water police and park rangers searched with spotlights for the 62-year-old man on Saturday night before resuming their search on Sunday morning.
NT Minister for Parks and Wildlife Bess Price told the NT News newspaper on Saturday that her thoughts were with the family and friends of the missing man.
A 12-year-old boy died in January after being attacked by a crocodile in the national park.
Human remains were found near where the boy had been swimming with friends in a billabong west of Jabiru.
A 15-year-old boy was also bitten but fought his way free during the attack.