'Probably OK': teen thought eating biscuit would be fine
Collapsed ... Ashfield Boys' High School student Raymond Cho, who died after having an allergic reaction to a biscuit.
A teenager who died after having a severe allergic reaction to a walnut biscuit said it was "probably OK" to eat when he took it from friends, who didn't know about his allergies, an inquest has been told.
Raymond Cho, 16, who had a nut allergy, went into anaphylactic shock after eating the biscuit one of his friends had baked in a cooking class at Ashfield Boys' High School on May 19 last year.
He died in hospital five days later, when his life support was switched off.
The boy who baked the biscuit, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said he shared the batch of biscuits with several friends at lunchtime.
"We were sitting down and I gave [one friend] some cookie and I asked Raymond if he wanted some," the boy told Glebe Coroner's Court on Tuesday.
"He said he was allergic to peanuts but I told him there were walnuts, so he took a bite."
Another boy said he knew Raymond suffered from asthma, but didn't realise he had allergies until he took a biscuit.
"When I took a bite I said 'this has peanuts in it' then [the boy who baked the biscuits] said 'it's not peanuts, it's walnuts'."
"Then Raymond gave them back ... and I asked him why. He said 'I can't eat them'. Then [the baker] said it was walnuts and Raymond said 'it's probably OK'."
The boys told the inquest Raymond only had a small amount of one biscuit, but didn't like the taste.
Raymond then went to maths class with friends, where he started complaining of feeling unwell and having an itchy throat, the inquest heard.
He had his head in his hands or on the desk for much of the lesson and drank two or three bottles of water, one of the boys said.
The inquest heard teachers tried to treat Raymond when he collapsed on a basketball court after class, before he was taken to hospital.
The state coroner, Mary Jerram, noted the boys' young ages and told the student who had baked the biscuits that there was no need to apologise.
"I'm sure we all feel terribly sad, and sad for the Cho family, but I don't think you should spend time feeling guilty about it.
"It's a terrible accident ... so please don't blame yourself and feel bad about it."
The inquest continues.