AN AUSTRALIAN schoolie in Bali had made sounds like a ''wild animal'' and had acted as if possessed as he assaulted a young woman while under the influence of hallucinogenic ''magic mushrooms''.
A fellow hotel guest said the 18-year-old had to be restrained after he attacked the Czech woman on Saturday at the Masa Inn hotel in central Kuta.
''They had him tied at the legs with a garden hose and he was handcuffed and broke two sets of handcuffs,'' according to the witness, who did not want to be named. ''The noises he was making was like a wild animal and extremely loud that could be heard whilst inside my room with the television blaring to try to drown out the noise.''
The attack shattered the jaw of the victim, who remains in hospital and will be fed through a syringe for six weeks. A friend said the victim was also forced to cancel a job interview in Europe.
The witness said the attack about 9.30pm was ''the most horrific thing I have ever witnessed'', and the young man's extreme symptoms went on for three hours until paramedics arrived.
''Another lady at the resort phoned his parents in Darwin and asked them to contact the Australian consulate … and once they did, within minutes he was receiving medical treatment.
''I couldn't understand why medical treatment couldn't be given before this, but apparently [it was] because the young lady's consulate was involved they wanted him arrested first.''
The Australian man's family arrived in Bali shortly after the attack and he has since returned to the Northern Territory.
The witness, who was in Bali accompanying her son and his mates, said she hoped every schoolie read about this incident and took notice.
''But unfortunately they are 10-foot tall and bulletproof and believe that this would never happen to them,'' she said.
Magic mushrooms are illegal in many parts of the world because of the risk of psychosis, but they are legal in Bali, and widely spruiked and advertised.
The victim could not be contacted directly. The Bali co-ordinator of community group Red Frogs, Paul Mergard, said magic mushrooms had caused problems for many schoolies in Bali.
''There was lots of anxiety … they were hallucinating and seeing weird things,'' he said.