License article

80 evacuated, 6 in hospital after chemical mix-up at Park Hyatt hotel

Guests have been allowed back into the Park Hyatt Sydney at The Rocks after a chemical mix-up in the swimming pool area forced the evacuation of the hotel.

About 80 guests and staff members were evacuated at 9.20am after the smell of chlorine wafted throughout the building.

Up Next

Barcelona Terror attack: Aussies injured

Video duration

More National News Videos

Park Hyatt chemical mix-up hospitalises 6

A pool chemical mixing accident forces the evacuation of the Park Hyatt in The Rocks, Sydney on Monday morning.

Paramedics took six people - five staff members and one guest - to hospital after they were exposed to the fumes.

A NSW Ambulance spokesman said paramedics were called to Hickson Road after reports that people were falling ill.

Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman Superintendent Ian Krimmer said the wrong chemicals had accidentally been mixed together in the pool area.

"Because of the air-conditioning, that odour has gone throughout the building and it was evacuated as a precaution," he said.

Some guests were seen gathered at the front of the hotel in their bathrobes, before everyone was allowed back inside just before 11am.

Superintendent Krimmer said the building had been ventilated and declared safe.