JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript to use My News, My Clippings, My Comments and user settings.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

80 evacuated, 6 in hospital after chemical mix-up at Park Hyatt hotel

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Park Hyatt chemical mix-up hospitalises 6

A pool chemical mixing accident forces the evacuation of the Park Hyatt in The Rocks, Sydney on Monday morning.

PT0M0S 620 349

Guests have been allowed back into the Park Hyatt Sydney at The Rocks after a chemical mix-up in the swimming pool area forced the evacuation of the hotel.

About 80 guests and staff members were evacuated at 9.20am after the smell of chlorine wafted throughout the building.

Paramedics took six people - five staff members and one guest - to hospital after they were exposed to the fumes.

A NSW Ambulance spokesman said paramedics were called to Hickson Road after reports that people were falling ill.

Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman Superintendent Ian Krimmer said the wrong chemicals had accidentally been mixed together in the pool area.

"Because of the air-conditioning, that odour has gone throughout the building and it was evacuated as a precaution," he said.

Some guests were seen gathered at the front of the hotel in their bathrobes, before everyone was allowed back inside just before 11am.

Superintendent Krimmer said the building had been ventilated and declared safe.

Related Coverage

Featured advertisers

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo